chapter twenty five

The last few notes hung in the air. A bright spotlight shone directly on CeCe and Rocky. Sweat glistened on her brow, but she didn't dare wipe it away. The cameras were still rolling, still watching them. It was the best feeling in the world.

Gary Wilde jumped in front of the dancers, a brilliant smile on his face. He lifted the microphone up to his mouth and said, "Well, what do you know? These people still got it. They don't have it like I do, but, my oh my, that was one of the best dances I have seen in a while."

CeCe nearly gasped out loud when she saw Gunther standing in the crowd. He had a proud smile on his face as he gazed at her. What was he doing there? Why hadn't he shown up for the performance?

The bright spotlights shut off, and CeCe dropped her arms down to her sides. For the moment, she forgot about Gunther. She hadn't danced like that in such a long time, and it felt so good. But it hurt her body so much. Her arms and legs ached as she stepped off of the stage.

"That was thrilling," Rocky said, stepping next to her. She wore the largest smile on her face. "I could do it again and again and again."

"Me too," CeCe said with a happy sigh. Her happiness fell away, though, when she thought about her lie. "Rocky, I am so sorry for lying to you," she said softly. "I am so, so sorry."

"Why did you lie?" Rocky asked her. 

CeCe sat down on the stage and rested her head in her hands. Rocky sat down next to her, resting a hand on her back. "You are doing so much better than me in life. You got into such a prestigious college and you are thriving. When I got fired, I knew you would be so disappointed in me."

Rocky frowned. "Why would I be disappointed in you? Nothing you could ever do would make me that disappointed. I know what you're capable of -"

"Sometimes you don't," CeCe whispered. "You and all of our other friends have always treated me like I'm not the brightest light bulb in the box. I know I'm not as smart as you all, but I do have a brain and I do have feelings."

Rock dropped her head. "I'm sorry you feel like that, CeCe. I never wanted you to feel like that."

"I know you didn't," CeCe said. "I don't feel worthy of being your friend because I'm a deadbeat. I worked at Crusty's. How bad is that?" CeCe stared down at the shiny floor. "That's probably why Tinka is your best friend and I am not.

"That's right," Rocky said with a nod. "You're not my best friend." CeCe looked at her in shock. She didn't expect Rocky to actually admit it. Tears pricked her eyes when Rocky said, "You're not my best friend because you're my sister. CeCe, you have always been there for me when I needed you most. That's why you're my sister because you know me like nobody else does."

CeCe threw her arms around Rocky's shoulders as she let some of the tears flow. Rocky held her tightly as she whispered, "I've missed you so much, Rocky."

"Me too."

They clung to each other for the longest time. CeCe had missed Rocky so much, and now she finally had her back. She had thought that romantic love was better than love from a friend, but she was wrong. Rocky loved her like no other, and all of CeCe's flaws didn't push her away like she thought they would.

"Look at you two," Gunther said. His voice was muffled because of Rocky, so CeCe pulled away from their hug. "I knew this plan would work."

CeCe stared at him. "Plan? What plan?"

Tinka and Ty drifted over to the three of them. They all shared a mischievous smile together. "We knew we had to get you two alone before you guys would talk about what happened," Ty explained. "And what better way to get two best friends to become friends again than with dance?"