Chapter 17

Shortly after gaining the information I needed from the couple in the hospital, I met Tarah in the lobby downstairs.

"Got what you needed?" Tarah asked me curiously.

"Yeah. Let's get out of here. I don't like hospitals." I told Tarah.

"I know. So, where we headed? An endless vacation would be nice." She responded as she grabbed her car keys.

"The courthouse. One last thing I have to do." I replied calmly.

We walked out of the hospital and hopped inside Tarah's black Jeep Wrangler to head downtown so I could meet with Imani. Since the job was done, I had to know what she would do with the evidence of my crime. What would she say? After all, we did have a deal. I did my part, so now it was time for Imani to do hers.

~~~

Twenty minutes later, Tarah and I made it to the courthouse in the downtown area of the city. Tarah parked the car so I could speak with Imani.

"I won't be long." I told Tarah.

"Alright, I'll wait here." Tarah replied.

I got out of the car, then closed the door behind me. There were a few people vastly walking in and out of the courthouse. Before I made it inside the building, Imani stopped me at the front door. She had been waiting outside in her classy, business-woman clothes for an hour. It probably was her lunch break.

"Good job, detective!" Imani announced with a smile on her face.

"You didn't call for me just to tell me that. The job is done, so I'm clear?" I replied to her.

"Well..."

"Well, what?" I asked seriously.

"Here's the thing. Things have changed. We need you to do a few more jobs for us. In case, we run into more people with your gift." Imani explained.

"Hold up! So, you're holding the evidence on me?" I asked calmly.

"It's not up to me anymore. This is coming from above." Imani responded.

"Who?" I questioned casually.

"Someone in the F.B.I. headquarters. They want your help to find these three criminals." Imani said as she handed me a small, red USB drive.

I grabbed the drive and put it in the pocket of my jeans. Looking at Imani, I could tell she was being honest. Yet, I knew she wasn't telling me everything. I couldn't tell why the F.B.I. would want me solving the cases and doing their job. The fact that I have powers isn't reason enough to hold me to this job.

"Who are these criminals?" I asked curiously as I stared Imani in her bright, hazel brown eyes.

"Don't know. The case is for your eyes only. It's considered classified." She responded truthfully.

"This is crazy. I'm not a cop! How many cases do I have to work until I'm free of charges?" I questioned her anxiously.

Imani sighed.

"Honestly, I can't answer that. All I can tell you is that my job was threatened if I did destroy the evidence on you." Imani said softly.

"Hmm...so, what happens if I don't take this case? If I decide to walk away?" I asked curiously.

"You can't! They'll arrest you. Send you to prison. Even if you run, they'll come after you." Imani explained.

I thought about everything Imani said. Then I glanced back at the car to see Tarah waiting there for me. One thing about me, I knew how to disappear without a trace. Even with Tarah, we could get out of the country quickly. Money wouldn't be an issue either with the money from my savings and what we took from Jeff's trunk.

"Even if you decide to run...At least look at the file first. It won't hurt. I gotta go, but good luck, Chineke." Imani mentioned to me right before she walked back into the courthouse.

"Alright, I'll check it out." I told Imani just before she was out of range.

Afterward, I made my way back to Tarah's car and got back inside the passenger seat.

"So, what's next?" Tarah asked curiously.

"I'll tell you on the way. We might have to put that endless vacation on hold." I told Tarah.

"I figured. Another job?" Tarah continued with her curiosity.

"Maybe." I replied.

"Well, I'm down for some more action and adventure." Tarah said jokingly followed by a laugh.

"I knew you would say that." I responded with a slight smile.

~~~

Once we got back to my loft, I quickly took a seat in front of my laptop, which was on the countertop in my kitchen. I pulled the USB drive out of my pocket to inserted it into the correct slot to load the data.

"What's that?" Tarah asked curiously.

"It's the case that Imani told me to look at. I'm curious to know what's in the file." I replied to Tarah.

Tarah watched me as I turned on the laptop. The home screen page popped up and automatically opened the file stored on the drive. On the screen, it read "Loading" as Tarah and I both waited patiently for the information to show.

"Seems like you make a great detective." Tarah mentioned randomly.

"Well, we make great detectives. I know you're ready to leave the country again... If you wanted to go, I wouldn't stop you." I said calmly.

As much as I liked having Tarah around again, I didn't want to keep bringing her into danger. Even though she can handle herself, I would rather her be happy traveling like she was before instead of risking her life to solve these cases with me. It was my situation to deal with. Not hers.

"I'm not going anywhere. Besides, who's going to keep you out of trouble.?" Tarah said as she glanced at me while leaning on my shoulder with her elbow.

I gazed at her to make eye contact. The look in her forest green eyes was as truthful as a kid's pinky promise.

"Who's going to get you into it?" I replied with a casual smile on my face.

Tarah's face glared up once she saw the file open on the screen of the laptop.

"Speaking of trouble, look!" Tarah said anxiously.

I glanced at the file and saw the reason why this case was handed to me. A familiar face among the three criminals would bring not only me but Tarah closer to our past.

"She's back at it again." I commented softly.

"We have to stop her. If we don't, more people will die." Tarah insisted.

"I know. Let's go." I told Tarah as I shut down the laptop.

Tarah grabbed the pistol from behind her shirt, which was tucked inside her jeans.

"You might have to use this on this case." Tarah commented seriously.

"Let's hope not." I replied as I grabbed the gun while we both left my loft.

To Be Continued!