Chapter 2

We got inside a room and the two of them sat down at a table. I decided to stand.

I wasn't too comfortable yet being in a room with the head of security and a stranger in the courthouse.

"Okay, so what's this job you speak of?" I asked curiously.

"It's a secret job. Detective work for short. But we need you to keep it on the low. Three missing kids." Imani responded casually.

"Detective work? I'm not a detective. Besides, why don't you get your Russian friend here to recruit a team to find the kids?" I questioned her.

"Because the parents of the kids are concerned, and it hasn't been forty-eight hours yet. So, the police can't do anything or get involved until then. Time is crucial." Imani explained further.

"And you think I'm the person for the job?" I continued to question her.

"We know what you can do, and we also know you'd rather take the job over prison." Simon added just before Imani could speak.

Imani nodded her head. I just looked at her light skin face with her head full of locs hanging close to her eyes.

"With me being a judge, I could easily get you sent to prison. But I see potential in you. I owe the mother of those missing children. You have three days to find the kids. Right now, you're our only hope." Imani spoke as she stood up in front of me.

Simon just sat there with that stupid smirk on his face. I swear if he wasn't a police officer, I'd hit him with a right hook across his square jaw. Instead, I brought my attention back to Imani.

"So, what do you know so far? Where does the couple live?" I asked Imani after placing both hands in the pockets of my skinny white jeans.

"There's not much I know. That's why you're here for the job. But they live out in the country right across an old farm." Imani responded truthfully.

"Alright, well I'll be on my way. That is right after Simon drops me off to get my ride." I mentioned with a sly smile.

"Fine!" Simon uttered disappointedly.

Just as he got up so we could take our leave, Imani stopped me by placing her left hand on my shoulder.

"Wait, if you're going to do the job...You have to at least dress the part." Imani suggested.

She walked over to the closet built in the room and pulled out a medium-sized, khaki trench coat. One glance at it and I knew it.

"That's definitely my style!" I responded happily.

I grabbed the coat and slipped it over my plain t-shirt.

"Good luck! By the way, you have to find the kids alive to avoid prison." Imani reminded me in a serious tone.

"Just to give you some incentive. In case you try to run off the map." Simon added.

DAMN! Just when I was thinking of a plan B in case things didn't work out. I guess that's probably out the window now.

"I should at least get paid to be doing the cop's job. Since the Russian can't handle it." I mentioned sarcastically.

"YOU DO NOT GET PAID, YOU IDIOT!" Simon yelled angrily with his face turning pink.

"Exactly, you have enough money from what I heard, and your payment is your freedom!" Imani replied afterward.

"Well, do I at least get a gun and a badge?" I asked casually.

Imani glanced at Simon and then did a quick nod with her head to permit me with a gun. Simon reached to grab the gun strapped to his leg and placed it facing down to my chest.

"Here, don't say I never did anything for you." He mentioned calmly.

I grabbed the Beretta M9 pistol and placed it on my back behind my belt strap.

"Aww, for me? You shouldn't have." I said sarcastically.

"We'd never give a criminal a badge. Not illegally anyway. That's the best we can do." Imani spoke truthfully.

"Makes sense. I guess we're off then." I responded as Simon and I left the room.

~~~~~

Just as I got back to my loft, I noticed my door was cracked.

"What the hell!" I whispered to myself.

I listened to the inside to see if I would hear anything. Nothing! Not a sound at all. Even though I could pull out the gun, I never liked using guns. So, I don't use them in most cases. Shortly after taking a deep breath, I gradually pushed the door open and walked inside.

"REALLY!" I shouted anxiously.

To my surprise, it was an old friend from my last job. The last person I expected to be snooping around my loft.

"It took you long enough. I was just about to order some pizza." Tarah responded calmly.

One thing about Tarah, she didn't care about boundaries. She'd crash at anybody's place as long as she felt safe. With her being a pro at lock-picking and stealth, it was easy for her to get in any place unnoticed.

"I thought you were in France. Didn't you have a job there?" I asked her.

Tarah just stood there in her all-black outfit gazing at the interior design of my loft.

"The job got finished early. I got bored in France, so I decided to come back here." She mentioned happily.

"Well, there's nothing going on here. I was just headed out myself actually." I told her in the hope she would take the hint and leave.

For some reason, Tarah gave me this look as if she sensed something.

"Oh, I see. You got a job!" Tarah announced with a smile.

"No, I..." I began to discourage her.

"Nope! I want in! So, let's go." Tarah demanded clearly.

She started walking to the door. Just before she passed me, she dangled my motorcycle keys in my face as if I was a dog waiting on a treat. Tarah just wanted the thrill to substitute for her boredom of no longer having a job.

"Not this time." I whispered softly.

Then, I walked up behind Tarah and quickly hit her in the back of the neck with just enough pressure to knock her out without causing any major damage.

"Ahhh!" Tarah gasped as she began to fall to the floor.

I caught her in the middle of her fall and laid her on my grey couch. Right after, I quickly grabbed my keys from her hand and left to start the job.

"I'll catch you later, Tarah." I whispered as I closed my loft door behind me.

Judging by her body temperature and blood circulation to her brain, I figured she'd be out for at least fifteen minutes. Just enough time for me to be on my way. By the time she wakes up, I'd be long gone!