Ahlam's POV

Me and mama have been in the kitchen since one in the afternoon it's now half five, the Haq family are coming over at seven. Right now all I want to do is get into my pj's and curl up into a ball on my bed. I'm soo tired, I genuinely don't understand why mama is preparing a feast, it isn't even that much of a big deal.

"Ahlam, here taste the biryani is the salt alright". Mama asked. "Yeah mama it tastes fine!". "Ok challo! Go upstairs and have a bath and make yourself look presentable!".

I walked up the stairs, I really wasn't in the mood today! My monthly friend decided to surprise me today, and I'm in pain and she expects me to put a bright and cheery face on. I just threw on the first thing that came in my line of sight. It was a lilac coloured abaya, which I never wear. I don't really care right now so I'll just put it on. I matched it with a peach colour chiffon hijab.

I walked down the stairs and mama goes "oohh wow it's nice to see you in colour". I rolled my eyes and walked off. I walked in to the kitchen to go eat the chips that I fried for the Haq's, I pulled out the chutney and ate like I've never eaten before! I know I'm going to have to eat all politely in front of the guests, so I'd rather stuff my face now. And eat like a human in front of them later.

"Ahlam beta, what's up? You don't seem like yourself today. Are you sure your not having second thoughts or anything, tell me now and I'll sort it out". "No baba, I'm not having second thoughts or anything, just in need of a good nap". Little did he know what period pain felt like. It felt as though there was somebody repeatedly stabbing my lower stomach.

The doorbell rang I knew what was coming next I was just waiting for mama to scream it out. "Ahhhllaaaammmm!!! Go and open the door right now". I went to open the door, before I opened I put a smile on my face."As - salaamu alaykum, Aunty Khadijah how are you?", "Alhamdulilah beta, I am well!, how are you?, you don't look yourself today". I must really look like death if everyone is noticing. I leaned over and whispered  in her ear "lady problems aunty".

I moved over to let them in, whilst doing so I had my eyes glued on the floor. I haven't got time for awkward encounters today. Once everybody was settled in the living room, I decided to ask where Afiyah and Luqman were. "Aunty, where is Afiyah and Luqman today, they didn't come". "Beta they have gone to Wales for a little break. Huzayl has a week of work. So they thought they'd go and explore Wales". 

"Ooh that must be nice!", I replied. I left the living room and began preparing the the food onto plates and put them onto the tray. I walked out with the tray mama had already taken the tables out.

The Haq family had eaten, I decided to bring out the profiteroles that I had made. Mama made me make desi chai as well because a dinner can't be complete without it apparently.

We had all began eating the dessert and then Ayman decided to speak "oh my gosh, this dessert is amazing! Who made it?". Luckily mama came to the rescue and spoke "Ahlam made it". Eeeek I was blushing, how cringe!!

There were soo many awkward silences, I really wish Luqman was her right now, so I could play with him. And Afiyah for ditching me, what am I supposed to speak to Aunty Khadijah about, the weather.

"Khadijah come, let me show you a new suit I got shipped from Pakistan last week". Way to leave me in awkward position. Baba and Ayman were talking so I decided to engage in conversation with Uncle Suleiman.

"Uncle Suleiman, how's work going?". "Beta Alhamdulilah I'm always busy, busy, busy. But the best part of having my own garage is that it's flexible, I can work when I want. And another benefit is that I can leave to pray Salah at the masjid. When working for someone you don't have the authority to just leave as you please. But Alhamdulilah I'm happy, my wife and kids are happy. What more could I ask for".

Baba had started the inquisition with Ayman and I was feeling awkward sitting here listening to their conversation so I left to go and wash the dishes. I had finished washing the dishes and decided to go up to my room because I didn't want to walk back in there. As I was leaving, Ayman had walked out of the living room. "As - salaamu alaykum Ahlam, do you know where the toilet is, I need to make wudhu". "Yeah go up the stairs and take a right. There is a blue towel to dry your feet with on the side of the sink as well". "Jazakallah". Once he was gone, I decided to go and sit back in the living room. Mama and Khadijah seems to be having a good ole chinwag because they were still up there.

Authors Note :

How was it guys?
Comment and let me know!

Vote? 🤷‍♀️

Till next time,
Allah Hafiz 💕