Chapter 60

I stand by the doorway of our home, with Jahní and Marleia both of whom have very sad expressions on their faces. I hold Jahní tightly, as we kiss farewell to each other. I pick up Marleia holding her, as we walk to the shuttle that is standing by for me. "Now remember that you promised to be a good girl, and take care of Jahní while I'm away."

Marleia nods her head and suddenly she wraps her arms around my neck. "You be good too." I smile at her child's innocence.

"You better believe I will be." I put her and turn to Jahní who's not far behind. "I'm coming back, I promise you that."

"I know you will." She looks at the shuttle. "Good hunting to you Warrior and may the Creator guide you home from among the stars." I can see the tears well up in her eyes, as I put my hand over my heart and bow to her. I board the shuttle looking back, as the ramp closes and I watch them till it shuts with a hiss.

I close my eyes know that we are going in to a fight, with out a guide to show us around. We will effectively be on our own. I sit and strap in as the shuttle lifts off.

Soon we are touching down in the Helios's shuttle bay, and Sam is there waiting for me. He snaps a salute as I step off the shuttle. I return it extending my hand to shake his. "How was the trip up Captain?"

"It felt different, since this time we going out to actively seek out and engage the enemy." He looks at me understanding exactly what I mean. "Well, how's the ship?"

He smiles. "The ship and the crew are ready and fired up to go get some Sir."

"Outstanding Commander." We both head for the bridge.

Once there the helmsman sees me. "Captain on the bridge."

"As you were." I head for the Captain's chair and I look at all of them; they're so young, but they don't lack courage. "Comms put me on speaker."

"Aye sir." She hits the switch.

"This is the Captain speaking. We are about to embark on a dangerous mission, in order to expose our enemy and their cohorts." I look at the mission clock on the wall. "Make no mistake we are going into harms way, so prepare your minds and your hearts for this fight." The bridge crew looks at me then at each other. "Earth is our home and if we want to keep it safe then this is where we do it."

"I expect all aboard this ship to perform at their absolute best. The lives of your fellow shipmates will depend on your actions." I stay quiet for a moment, so they can work this in their minds.  "I know that most of us have little to no combat experience, but you are ready." 

Everyone looks at each other with that look of confidence that comes from youthful exuberance, and the lack of experience.  "Helm get us under way."  I sit in the Captain's chair activating my screen checking that all systems are green; I feel the ship drift, as the moorings are deactivated.

I feel the engine start to hum, as they increase their power output. Soon we're exiting the doors and we are free to maneuver; I reach into my pocket of utility jacket and I pull out a small device, with an embedded crystal. I activate it and a holographic image of Jahní appears. I smile looking at her image, as I look up I see a couple of my crew watching me.

I turn the image recorder off putting it away back in my jacket, and they smile at each other.  "Sir we are ready for a fold operation."

I send the coordinates to the helmsman.  "Helm a
Set those coordinated and begin the fold operation."

"Aye Sir, we fold in thirty seconds."

"Execute fold when ready."  The tear opens in front and we slip through poping out near the edge of Majah-tu space.  "Run a scan of the area, to se if we are alone."