Chapter 29

I climb the stairs to the top of the tower where the Thirty Mil is mounted; two Marines are guarding it. We have a twenty four hour security around the gun, because this is our main defensive weapon system. It's covered right now to camouflage it from being spotted by aerial surveillance, and no-one not even Jahní knows this is here. The Marines both snap to attention when the see me. "As you were." I order, and they return to how they were.

I peer over the side of the parpet of the tower looking at the ground, and I turn around observing the field of fire. We can depress the gun pretty far on the front, but the rear is a problem because the rest of the Embassy is in the way.

I look over the front again toward the main entrance and I see Lahí come up to the gate, then the Gunny walks over and starts to speak to her. She seems like she enjoys spending time with Hal, and he's not exactly shooing her away ether. I turn away thinking about Jahní; She got pulled away on palace duty and she hasn't been here for a couple of days.

I head back down from the tower and a young lieutenant from the Helios is here, and holding a note for me. "Good morning, Sir." she greets me, as she hands it to me. "From the Ambassador, Sir."

"Good morning, Lieutenant, and thank you." She salutes and leaves, while I read the note from the Ambassador. I stuff it in my pocket heading for his office to find out what is happening exactly. He says to discuss a request from the King, but I wonder what the problem could be. Maybe it's not a problem. No, nothing is ever that easy in this place, or any other for that matter.

I reach his office knocking waiting for his response. "Come in." I walk through the door and as soon as he sees me he stands, greeting me graciously. "Please, Captain, sit here." He points to a chair by a small table, with a chess board set up on it. He takes the seat directly across and smiling he makes an opening move. "The King wishes to see you, Captain. I have no knowledge of why." he says.

It's a standard opening so I copy his move. "He didn't even give you a clue as to why he wants to see me?" I ask as he moves his knight out.

" It is a private meeting is all he said to me; nothing more I'm afraid." Private I see. I bring my King side bishop into play.

He stops studying me for a bit, and I know he has something on his mind that he's holding back. "Basha, it's ok just say what's on your mind."

"Well," He starts. "I feel that this has to do with the Princess and your relationship, which I can only assume is becoming more loving as time moves on." I swallow dry as the words come out of his mouth.

I interlace my fingers thinking the of situation that must be playing out in the Kings mind. "Was it an aggressive request or a friendly one?" He sits up a bit more thinking on the Kings request.

"I would have to say insistent would be the most correct way to read that." He might be right then about the assessment he's made.

I absorb this knowing full well the possible outcomes if the King is in a foul mood towards me, the outsider. "When is he asking to meet with me?"

"In a half hour in his private office." Ok, it looks like it's time to put up or shut up.

"Thank you Ambassador. It looks like I need a change of clothes. I'll see you when I get back." He stands up and we shake hands; he pats my shoulder for encouragement because he knows I need all I can get right now.

****************************************************************************

The trip to the palace was quick and uneventful as I step up the stairs entering through the grand entrance. There, one of the Kings aid greets me bowing mid way and I incline my head. He leads me through several twists and turns until we reach the Office, as the aid turns bowing and leaves. I hesitate for a second taking in a deep breath and letting it out, to steady myself. I knock on the door waiting for permission to enter, and I wait. Five minutes have gone by, so I'm thinking I should knock once more. Then the door opens and Jahní is there and she smiles, but I can tell that something is slightly off.

"Come in, Captain." I incline my head to her and as I step in and I notice that the King is standing by an old book. He looks up at me and I bow; he waves me over to see the book.

"Captain, how good of you to come on such short notice." He indicates for me to look at the book. "This is a book of prophesy that we can trace from the rise of the Majah-tu. Do your people have anything like this?" I study the pages and it's written in their language, so there's no way I can read it.

"Yes, I think every civilization has this type of book. For us it's called the Bible, or the Koran depending on ones religious beliefs." he nods at my statement with curiosity in his face. He turns the page and there are pictures as well and there is an image on this particular page. What gets my attention is the woman with the flaming red hair and the man next to her. The King looks at me and walks away.

"Now, you must forgive my curiosity at this, but my daughter is very clear on what she says you have seen in visions." He walks up to me standing close enough to punch me if he so desired it. I can get the sense of some animosity towards me. "Under most circumstances I would have you thrown in to a detention center awaiting expulsion, for your impudence on romancing my daughter." I feel like when I'm being dressed down for a screw up by a commanding officer.

"Your Majesty..."

"Silence!" I grind my teeth at his yelling at me. I'm not one of his subordinates, who are at his beck and call hanging on every word, but out of my love and respect for Jahní I bite my tongue. "You are a guest here on this world and you have been compliant on many of our customs, however this is not an open door to do as you wish."

Jahní is looking at her father and the pain is clear on her face. "You must understand our position here; she is the Crown Princess and she has expressed her not wanting to be queen on more than one occasion. That being said you are not Majah-tu nor are you a warrior, or even of sufficient military rank for me to consider my consent!"

He looks at his daughter and the look in his face softens. "My daughter is in a very difficult situation when it comes to you. I do appreciate her feelings, as I'm sure your feelings are the same." He turns from me. "Please understand that you can not be seen together in any capacity other than a political one publicly, so discretion is a priority."

I snap my head up at this statement, as he walks back to the book and move many pages ahead in it. He beckons me over. There is an impossible hand drawn painting. "You see, Captain, I am more aware of things than you might imagine." He steps away from the book leaving me to stare at it. Jahní stands by my side and we both are stunned and amazed at this image, and she takes my hand putting her head on my shoulder.

I hear the door close and I turn looking around, but the King is not here. "Is this real?"

Jahní gets closer to me. "It's the book of prophesy especially for our family; no one can question it." No one. I doubt that it's the case, or we could have an open relationship here, without the restrictions he just gave us. I turn to her and pull her close to me she touches my face and I smile.

"What are the chances that someone other than your family will try something to hurt you?" I ask cause the possibility exists that a common enemy will act to stop us, from coming together for any reason.

She puts her fingers on my mouth stopping me from continuing. "let us live now, for the future is always open no matter what the book says." I agree with her that nothing is truly written in stone, so lets live the present. We kiss tenderly at first then more passionately. I never saw this coming when I signed up for this job, but this is more than what I expected would happen to me or to Jahní.