39. His name is...

Start from the beginning

Negative. If he is still in there, he is so weak that I can't really sense him. But if he doesn't have his wolf, Rafe, he will be a broken man...which we will need to use to our advantage, as much as it pains me to say that. He is still our packmate.

I put my jeans on and headed for the kitchen to grab some coffee. Kai was a grumpy bastard at times but I was no better without my coffee. I found Aiden on the porch, basking in the sun with some breakfast. I grabbed one of the sandwiches from the small table as I crashed on the deck chair next to him.

"Fuck, man, this is some good shit," I managed to say as I was happily gobbling down on what might have been the best sandwich I've had in my life. "Why is this the first time I get to try these? You better be making these for me again soon."

"It's a beer-soaked grilled cheese sandwich, mate, and it's Riley that made them, not me." I felt the food get stuck in my throat. Could there be one thing that I didn't like about this woman? One damn thing... "She went for a run but you can tell her how much you enjoyed them when she is back. Maybe she will be happy to make them for you again....soon." He was enjoying this, the prick.

"I'm heading down to the basement to see how John is doing and to get a move with the interrogation," I muttered. "You and Riley can join me whenever you are ready."

I took a glass of water and a sandwich with me and made my way to the basement. John was still out but it looked more like he was sleeping by now. I put the plate with the warm, deliciously smelling sandwich in front of him and waited for him to come to his senses. He slowly came around- the man had the appetite of a wolf, so this was bound to work.

I was helping him up when he whispered so faintly like he had no energy at all, "Water."

I grabbed the glass and brought it to his lips, letting him down it in one go before I gave him the sandwich to eat. I wasn't being soft of on him- I simply knew that we wouldn't get anything out of John if he passed out because of hunger or dehydration.

"Rafe..." he whispered again.

"Yeah, it's me, John."

"Where am I?"

"Back in Scotland, don't worry."

"Your sister?"

"She is fine. We go to her on time."

"I failed your father, Rafe...I...." He lowered his head in despair, clearly pained by whatever he was thinking about. "We didn't expect them to have magic on their side, although we should have known better. Not like we didn't know these guys." John let out a demented laugh and I wondered if he even knew what he was saying.

Gone was the secret enforcer- instead, in front of me sat a tortured man, physically and emotionally. One that had clearly been broken by his captors. I knew that this was my chance, so I pressed on even when I heard Aiden and Riley join me, although they remained in the shadows, away from John's line of sight.

"What are you talking about, John? How did you know these guys?"

"It's the same people that your father had dealings with all those years ago. I warned him against getting involved with the offspring of a demon but he had other plans. And now we are all fucked....so very fucked. If only we knew back then." He was laughing hysterically by now.

"John, get it together. You need to get your wolf to flush the drugs out of your system or he won't be able to come out and let you heal." I needed him with a clear mind to get to the bottom of this.

"My wolf? My wolf..." he cackled, "my wolf is dead, my boy. Gone. Taken away from me in a blink of an eye. Just like they did to Scott and Travis. Except they were lucky enough to die quickly. My fate is far worse. It's ironic- the same weapon that I had used years ago was used against me. Perhaps it's the Goddess' punishment."