39. His name is...

Start from the beginning

"That's good to know," Aiden smiled and reached for the door.  I thought that I got away with it until I saw him sniff the air. He turned around again to look at me, a large grin erupting on his face. "You can't fight the unavoidable, my friend," he remarked and winked at me as he entered the cabin.

Why couldn't everyone understand that I had legitimate reasons for not wanting a mate? I mean, I had to admit that it was difficult to argue my case because Riley Moreau was proving to be tougher than I thought. Despite my reservations, I was impressed by how she masterfully led a team of Alphas and Betas during the mission to save Natalia earlier today, and everyone followed her lead without even questioning her plan. She fought on par with my top warriors; hell, on par even with me and Aiden and we were some tough bastards. She was fearless and strong.

But when she threw herself in front of the energy ball to save me, my heart stopped. The fear that I experienced until I felt her breathing on top of me, even if only for a few seconds, was the reason why I couldn't accept having her as a mate. Even without us having completed the mating, what I felt towards her was strong, despite my denial, and I feared what it would be like if we did indeed embrace our bond.

Fighting this pull between us was perhaps the biggest challenge that I had ever faced. When she threw herself in front of me in the mansion all I wanted was to take her in my arms and protect her, and when she comforted me in the dungeon I knew it in my bones that only her presence could bring me peace in my moment of turmoil. And what happened in that bedroom was a fucking nightmare because I couldn't imagine ever denying myself the pleasure of her touch, her skin, her pussy. The only thing that I wanted more than anything at that moment was to claim her lips as my mine but the Goddess only knows where I managed to find the strength not to make that mistake.

I looked at the clear starry sky above me and I wondered if my mother was looking down amongst them. If she was still alive, I could have asked for her advice. She was the wisest person that I had ever known and I wondered how different my life would have been if she was still alive. This was also the reason why I needed to get the answers from John.

I text Nat to check on her, relieved to hear that she was awake and well at home. I promised her to be back soon enough and then went back inside to join Aiden and Riley. Apparently, I had been outside longer than I'd realised because they were already waiting for me at the table with the ready dinner. Fortunately for me, Aiden was ready to ask Riley every question under the sun about her life in the human world, while I feigned ignorance until I made my excuses and went to check on John before going to sleep.

It was impossible to sleep though when all I could hear was Riley's melodic laugh every time that Aiden cracked a joke. They talked like they knew each other for ages and I felt a small twinge of jealousy at the fact that I could not be like that. This had always been the difference between Aiden and me when it came to women- he knew how to wine and dine them, I knew how to fuck them senseless. Right now though, I envied the ease he had in charming women. No, no just any woman- this particular one. 

For fuck sake, how does this woman turn me into a pining mess? 

Yet another reason why I couldn't let her get to me- I had to keep her out of my mind and my heart, if I didn't want to lose my soul in return.

By the time I woke up the next morning, the sun was already shining brightly in the sky. What the hell? I never slept late as I was usually up early in the morning to train, so to say that I was shocked when I saw that it was already 9.30 am was an understatement. I couldn't even remember the last time that I slept so well and so deeply.

You know the reason, you idiot - you just don't want to admit it. My silver-grey wolf was once again taunting me in my head.

Good morning to you too, Kai. And can you please focus? We need to get our act together to interrogate John. Did you manage to mind-link with his wolf?