This time, she was determined to get a solid block of ice. It would be the perfect thing to show Satan and waylay the inevitable beating that followed failure.

She took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and focused. Ice. Ice. Solid, non-slushy ice. Come on, water, you can do it! Be a solid!

"What are you doing?"

Her eyes flew open and something cracked ominously. It was the jug. The jug cracked. Water spilled out from the holes in the clay all over her kimono. She leapt her feet with a startled yelp, and someone laughed.

She threw her hottest glare at the pair of brothers on the other side of the river, willing her rage to reach them.

Itama choked on his laughter, tanned skin paling several shades. Tobirama pulled a kunai from thin air and brandished it at her, red eyes cautious and afraid.

What?

Her anger faded in the wake of confusion. "Um, guys? What's wrong?"

"You cannot be serious," Tobirama spat. "What was that?"

"What was what? Seriously, what's going on?"

She stepped forward only to have Tobirama force his brother back. She turned, looking over her shoulder for a possible threat.

"I don't get it," she called over to them. "There's nothing here, guys—oof!"

Her face was pressed into the dirt, the sharp edge of a kunai against the back of her neck. Tobirama pressed a knee to the small of her back, pinning her in place with his superior weight.

"What the fuck," she exclaimed, spitting out mud and random detritus. "Seriously? What's wrong with you?"

She could just barely make out the red of his eyes from the corner of hers.

"Don't lie," he hissed in her ear. "You did something. I felt it."

"I didn't do anything," she insisted. "You're the ones who broke my concentration—and my jug! If anyone should be mad, here, it's me!"

"Aniki," Itama's soft, quivering voice cut through their argument. "I-I don't think Kyou-kun meant to do it."

"Do what? I have no idea what you're talking about!"

"See?"

Tobirama didn't look at his brother, but his grip on Kyou did loosen. She took the opportunity to kawarimi with a large pottery shard, the old jug already filled with her chakra, anyway. She made a big show of dusting herself off, using the time to calm her nerves.

Holy shit, Tobi was fast. How the fuck did a six—seven?—year old get that fast? Suddenly, she was reminded that, one day, she'd probably have to fight him. Shit.

She looked down at her muddy kimono with a groan. "Baa-chan is gonna kill me."

"Ne, Kyou-kun," Itama began hesitantly. "Do you know what you did?"

She rolled her eyes. "Obviously, not."

Tobirama glared at her over crossed arms. "You expect us to believe that?"

She began removing her kimono, the wet fabric clinging to her skin as she stripped down to her loin cloth—little kids were sexless beings, so they shouldn't notice her secret. "The truth doesn't stop being true just 'cause you're too proud to recognize it."

Kyou dunked the kimono into the river, the freezing water biting at her hands as she swished it around to clean it. It was still a bit muddy when she pulled it out, but it was better than before. Calling on her chakra again, she called to the water in the fabric, pushing it to do what it was already doing, but faster. The water drained from her kimono, obeying the call of gravity and rejoining the river in a steady stream rather than slow drips.