Science Bitch

((The science is wrong. I did that on purpose. Kyou only has a highschool education.))

The air was taking a turn for the chilly, carrying leaves of red and gold in playful swirls across the forest floor. It was autumn, and soon Kyou would be four. She had no idea when exactly, of course, because no one ever celebrated her birthday the way she had in her previous life, but that was fine. She remembered being born in autumn, so, once the first snows fell, she just added another year to her life. Easy.

What wasn't easy was the stupid Iceball.

She really shouldn't have brought it up. It was all Satan cared about, now, and she'd lost her precious 'but I'm a water type' excuse. Her chakra control exercises got harder as her father lost patience and she went to bed sore and exhausted late at night only to rise and repeat it all at the ass crack of dawn every morning. Her cousins took the opportunity to be even bigger assholes than normal, calling her all manner of names and poking fun at her inability to master the Clan jutsu even with her sharingan.

It was an all around bad time.

Her only respite came when the Clan took on larger missions. All the active duty adults and boys older than five left the village, and Kyou could wheedle out of group training since she was so obviously better than the other kids her age. On days like that, she almost always found herself at the river.

It had nothing to do with the possibility of certain Senju boys being there. Not at all. Except, yeah, it did. The river was a good place to practice her unorthodox jutsu away from prying eyes, and a ready source of water for her other training.

Like now, she was seated on the river bank, alone, with a jug of water nestled between her legs. She'd long ago mastered moving water with her chakra—an exercise she likened to Naruto's Rasengan training, with the water balloons—and had graduated to manipulating it in other ways. She took her role as the only Uchiha waterbender very seriously, though she sometimes lamented her uniqueness. Any other element would have made her life so much easier, but no, she had to be super special. Peh.

She placed her hands on the sides of the jug, the clay cold under her hands. Slowly, gently, she coaxed her chakra into it, the water's own inherent energy welcoming hers like an old friend.

In her past life, she'd been a lack luster student at a prestigious school. Just one of a hundred nerds all forced into the same space. While her peers competed over the .01 percentage that would decide valedictorian, she'd been perfectly satisfied with the mediocre prize of four extra science credits. No big deal. Not like she used them for anything. All her scholarships went down the drain when college proved too stressful for a student accustomed to effortless excellence.

Now, though, her high school awesomeness made her the most educated person on the planet. And by golly she was gonna use that education, this time!

Her understanding of physics told her that the whole "wind + water = ice" rule Shuji tried so hard to shove down her throat was nonsense. Complete and utter bullshit. Even an actual four year old from her old world would know that.

So, instead of trying to access another kind of chakra she probably didn't have anyway, she focused on getting the water to occupy less space. By decreasing the space between water molecules, she would lessen the amount of movement they made, thus forcing them into a solid shape, thus making ice!

It was science!

And it worked! Mostly. She usually ended up with a layer of ice on top of slush, but it was proof that this weird Naruto world used the same laws of physics she was used to—it just broke them whenever it felt like it.