Coincidence

((It's been a few years since the last chapter, so here's everyone's current ages: Madara: 17 and Hashirama: 18, Izuna: 16 and Tobirama: 17, Kyou: 13 and Itama: 14. The poem Kyou recites is 'River Snow' by Liu Zongyuan. Brief, nongraphic mention of menstruation. Art by libraesious on Fiverr.))

There was a weight on Madara's shoulders, a stiffness in his gait as he walked through the Uchiha village. It was still strange to see men many decades his elders bowing to him in greeting, the last year since his inauguration as Clan Heir nowhere near enough time to adjust to the new layers of respect and responsibility being placed on him. He was increasingly invited to homes and given gifts, old women chatting him up while their granddaughters stood awkwardly at their sides. He could see several mothers eyeing him even as he walked just a little bit faster on his way through the gates. His hackles lowered as he escaped into the forest, his body relaxing minutely once he was free from the stares and expectations of his Clan. Still, the weight he was carrying did not lessen. As much as he might wish to, he did not have the freedom to run and play in the forest, anymore. Unlike the person he was looking for.

There was no sign of human activity in the forest—there never was, so close to the village—but he followed a trail nonetheless, familiar flowers and scratches on tree bark marking the way. This was a path he walked with surprising regularity. He had hazy childhood memories of the pond in the clearing ahead, most of them supplanted by the crystal clear memories of battle branded into his mind by his sharingan.

Madara stepped out past the tree line and into the clearing, dismissing his melancholy thoughts before they could take root and affect his mood. Looking out onto the pond, he had to resist the urge to activate his sharingan and capture a pleasant memory for posterity. He'd promised not to use it on the technique on display, though, so he had to content himself with the knowledge that he was one of the few people who had even seen it.

The water in the pond was being suspended in the air, fish and other small animals swimming through it without pause or complaint. Sunlight passed through the faintly glowing liquid and cast the entire clearing in rippling shadows. In the middle of it all a figure sat cross legged atop a pillar of water. Eyes closed and hands pressed together in the sign of the Dog, they seemed unaware of Madara's presence, but he knew better. Already, the water in the air was returning to its natural place within the confines of the pond, moving gently so as not to disturb the animals inside. He walked slowly over to the shore, watching his cousin's face carefully. Brown eyes opened, sunlight illuminating a thousand different shades of gold. A genuine smile pulled at a long scar which started at the corner of an eye and ran down over high cheekbones and across a wide mouth to end just above a narrow chin. Distant memories of another kinsman with a similar scar set in a similar face rose in Madara's mind, but he ignored them.

Kyou hated being reminded of Shuji. Even more than Hitomi.

"Mada-nii, what brings you out here?"

The childish nickname didn't match the hoarse voice that said it. Kyou had grown a lot in last few years and would likely be one of the tallest in the Clan. Madara had surpassed Kyou with his last growth spurt, though, and he would be lying if he said he didn't enjoy being able to look down at his precocious cousin.

"The council has decided that I am to put together my own team," he said with no small bit of pride. He didn't need to conceal his emotions here. "You're on it."

Kyou raised one dark eyebrow, tugging at the scar that started beside it. "Oh, I am, am I? I don't get a choice?"

Madara shrugged. "I don't see why you would say no. It's the only way you'll get to beat up your lover, after all."