Chapter 30 The Harbor

Start from the beginning

"So you do know magic then, like your mother?"

He sighed. It wasn't tiring, just thoughtful. "Indeed I do. She is teaching me more as I go. Moving plants and bits. Trust me when I tell you it is difficult. Two weeks and I can only move a blade of grass to the wave of my finger, much less than moving entire forests to do my bidding. She told me that I will need this power. And I believe her. I don't want us to end up in that situation again . . . "

He trailed off, furrowing his brows. She did not wish to know what he was thinking. No doubt it was a dark place to find oneself, being powerless. Power is the way of the clans . She looked up at the stars. The moons. She saw wind spirits floating above them now. Common this far south near the ocean breeze. It was hard to find their figures, but whenever they obscured an especially bright star or the moons, they could easily be seen through their rippling forms. Either horses or vague humanoid figures. They never bothered humans. They never really attacked anything, just follows people and sometimes becoming omens when they gathered to warn of a bad storm. They were also omens of good weather sometimes, usually when they appeared in dancing pairs to am unusual rhythm. That's how most weather scientist predicted the weather in Silondras. People don't see them so often so far north though. Maybe it was the cold weather or the enchanted Forest that made them flee. Spirits can be very particular about their domains.

"So, what do you think so far of our journey? I doubt it is what you imagined it to be so far."

"I cannot say that I expected all that has happened, " Elena told him. "But we are knights. We deal with the extraordinary because we are extraordinary. We deal with the hardest because our steel is the only that can endure."

"You don't need to tell me these things," Lyse chuckled. "Still, I'm sorry for dragging you all into this. Thanks to me, you all might have a target painted on your sides."

"I didn't agree to come along with you because I wanted an apology Lyse," she looked to the wind spirits, and back to him with a hard look. "You need to stop this self-pitying. It is unbecoming of someone like you. At least what I believed you to be. I suspect you to be more of the, you know, carry on and do what needs to be done. Or is that a bit too fairy tale for Lyse Opal? Your sister needs you. And your mother. Your all that they have."

Lyse sighed. "I know. I can not say I have not wavered a moment in what I wish for. I have to save my sister. I have to be there for my mother, and protect my empire. That's what I must do. I do appreciate you sharing your feelings towards this. I will take it into consideration next time I ask you to jump into danger with me."

"There is no need to thank me for anything," Elena said. "Maybe when this is over, and we make it back to the capital, we can all share in a drink as brothers and sisters of battle, no?"

"A drink," Lyse's smile grew pleasant. "Yes, a drink would be nice. Just a simple drink when this is all over. No worry of death, no worry of my family. No worries about my friends. Wouldn't that be the best of the outcome? A reward more than fitting for the effort. Even the smile on my sister would be a blessing right now. A true smile, filled with happiness for the world, and love for those she loves. I'd die to see it again, for some reason. Not because it will make me feel better, but because what other reason is there for a person than to make the ones they love to smile."

Lyse paused, seeing the mystified look on Elena's face as she stared at his face. "I'm sorry, I'm rambling again. Forgive me."

She furrowed her brows, a new smile spreading. "What did I just tell you, fairy tale hero?"

Lyse smiled, lifting himself off the beam to face her fully and bow to her in a grand gesture. "Of course. Thank you for talking with me, I appreciate it. Thank you for listening to my self-pity, and for putting up with my irrational decisions."