CHAPTER ONE. 影が近づく

影が近づく. shadow approaches

 shadow approaches

YOU WALKED A path of no return. No place to call home, no family to return to, nothing. Your feet dragged through the mud of your own nightmares, the grandiose resonance of descending chords. Diminishing notes clashed as you continued to trek through the darkness. For as far as your eyes can see, there was nothing in the distance, no goal, no end. For you alone, walk this path.

The stark color contrast between the darkness and the spider lilies by your feet illuminated the shadows just a bit. Perhaps it was your mind playing tricks on you but it gave you some comfort. The air was cooling, just cold enough to make your skin tingle and for goosebumps to appear.

Suddenly, the chords stopped. Nothing but the ringing silence rang in your ears. You turned around to see the flowers behind you were decaying slowly. The red threads shriveled up and disintegrated to dust. A sharp panic flooded your body as your legs started to carry you further and further away from the flowers.

You clapped your hands over your ears to stop the ringing as you sprinted towards an unknown destination. Your breath hitched in your throat as you continued to sprint down the darkness. The ringing grew louder, forcing you to push your hands harder against the sides of your face. Your eyes were closed shut before a sharp pain hit your forehead causing your eyes to snap open.

"Ow..." You hissed at the pain on your forehead. It was throbbing pang from the harsh, sudden contact with the wall as you flung yourself from the nightmare. Two loud thuds from the wall beside your bed caused your growing headache to worsen. An irk mark appeared on your face as you groaned, throwing the soft blankets off of you before heading for the door.

You marched to the hall and turned to the door of the room beside yours. You pounded on the wood in fury, eyebrows furrowed with annoyance. The door swung open moments later to reveal a very much drowsy but annoyed Fushiguro Megumi staring back at you.

"What. The. Heck. Megumi?" You frowned at him, raising an eyebrow at him with your arms crossed.

He huffed, rolling his eyes at you. "You literally pounded against my wall for no reason."

"Actually— there is a reason I woke up from a bad dream." You scoffed at him, it was your turn to roll your eyes at him. Megumi grumbled something before turning around to walk back into his room.

"Whatever— it's time to go anyway... Gojo-sensei said he wanted to see us."

Oh right, forgot about that. You thought to yourself quietly.

"Ah, Gojo-sensei said not to wear our uniforms. Wear something casual." You raised an eyebrow at him in which he shrugged a mutter of 'I don't know either' before he turned back to his room to change. Your teacher's request intrigued you. Why would he want us to dress normally?