CHAPTER THIRTEEN . 愚か者の楽園

愚か者の楽園 . a fool's paradise

 a fool's paradise

HEROES ARE FICKLE to define. Broadly, they are people who save others regardless of their own safety. Heroes are supposed to be kind-hearted, selfless, and courageous. Yet some merely save others for the sake of merit and praise. Heroes are supposed to follow through with their moral integrity, saving those who need help. Though, it didn't apply in the world of jujutsu sorcerers. In a world where life or death are in a delicate dance with one another, heroism seemingly disappears. To prioritize your own life wasn't looked down upon. Most people couldn't see curses unless under special circumstances. Essentially, there was only one life to prioritize over the rest, your own. Your existence hinged on your own conviction, one that you have yet to earn entirely. For as long as Kamo Nagiko exists, your life belonged to her.

Yet, you found contentment with your current existence. A semblance of serenity with this damned life. Whether you were a pawn in your mother's game of chess mattered you not, your wish and her twisted desire was for you to continue living. A life that was shackled by your tortured history. An antiquity to be overcome and bypass to better yourself. Familial bonds meant nothing to you. Their validation meant nothing to you. In their eyes, you were a threat to the heir— to their legacy. Whether you were granted the favors of the heavens or not, they cared not for your abilities. You were born a woman, the role in which you were meant to play was submissive and docile yet fate challenged the normality of several centuries.

An opportunity presented itself to you, to denounce normalcy. You sought not the clan's validation, their words were empty and fell on deaf ears. Fundamentally, you and Noritoshi were even in terms of birthrights and abilities. It was because you were born a woman of which you were reviled and vilified. They saw you as lesser than Noritoshi. You were a demon, threatening the balance of normalcy.

It was only now did you fully comprehend how they viewed you. Noritoshi, unlike the rest of the clan, saw you as an equal. But he had to uphold his position as head, thus he belittled you. Such belittlement granted you an epiphany. Although pathetic was the sight of you lamenting over the past, he stood aghast at your next words; proclaiming yourself as his very own adversary. To rise above their notions of what they perceived, you needed no validation from them. The only salvation you were granted were the friendships you found at Jujutsu Tech.

.

Upon arrival home in Tokyo, you felt the heavy weight of being in Kyoto lift from your shoulders. You breathed a sigh of relief as you and Gojo hauled up the hill to Jujutsu Tech. The white haired sorcerer chuckled, observing your relaxed posture as the two of you walked. You spared him a side glance, an eyebrow quirking up at him.

"What's so funny, Sensei?" You asked, staring at him.

Gojo Satoru's diamond eyes were hidden behind black lens but you noticed his piercing gaze as he shook his head, directing his attention ahead of the two of you.