xx| 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚠𝚎𝚕𝚟𝚎 |xx

Magsimula sa umpisa

I don't know how we did it, but just as we descended to the second floor and bounded around the corner, we caught Mr. Aoki at the top of the stairwell.

"Mr. Aoki!" Finn called.

The diplomat whipped around. As his eyes came to rest on us, a huge smile spread across his face.

"If it isn't my old friends from the IIA!" he declared. "Hello!"

"Hello," I greeted.

The Japanese diplomat backtracked in his steps to stand by us. "Did you sleep well?"

"Quite well," I said. Silently, I added, I just wish I could have gotten more of it. "And you?"

"Excellent! Isn't it a lovely morning?"

"Indeed it is," Finn agreed.

Could have been nicer if I had slept in.

Mr. Aoki's eyes shifted to his watch. "Are you going to eat breakfast now?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact we are," Finn said.

Mr. Aoki smiled warmly. "Then I extend a warm invitation for you to dine with me."

"Thank you," I said.

Mr. Aoki returned to his procession to the dining room, and Finn and I followed. The Japanese Representative didn't dawdle like many of the other diplomats. He always took large, quick strides as he walked, carrying himself with purpose. When we came to the staircase, Mr. Aoki bounded down the alabaster steps.

"Am I correct to assume that your whereabouts are not confidential right now," Mr. Aoki said in a lowered tone.

"You can be open about it with the other diplomats," I told him. "But keep it on the downlow with the other hotel guests and staff."

"This is a more laid-back assignment," Finn chimed in. "We're not anticipating that anything will go too wrong, just some light guarding work."

"I'm sure that it's nice to get a break from the usual, high-intensity spy work," Mr. Aoki agreed. His face solemned. "But then again, the times that things are going well are the times to be most vigilant. There's always a catastrophe waiting around the corner."

I nodded, thinking about the insanity of yesterday. "We'll be careful."

"As always." Mr. Aoki beamed, his eyes shining in the fluorescent lighting. "Out of all of the secret service agents I have met, your team is by far the best."

We had now come to the double doors of the restaurant, and upon saying this, Mr. Aoki's guard flung open the doors for us to enter. Mr. Aoki scanned the room for a moment until his eyes rested on a clear door on the left corner of the room which led to the hotel gardens. The golden rays of the morning sun were gleaming through the glass.

"Why don't we enjoy our breakfast outside?" he suggested. "Food nourishes the body, but nature nourishes the soul."

Finn shrugged. "Why not."

One of Mr. Aoki's guards waved the host over and asked if we could dine outside. He nodded, and we followed him out of the side door.

The door opened to a spacious courtyard. Ten tables were placed sporadically throughout, giving an animated air to the gardens. Upon closer consideration, however, I discovered that each table had been carefully placed equidistant apart from the others.

The mass of blossoms flourishing in the garden tainted the air with a naturally sweet fragrance. All sorts of beautiful flowers were planted, vibrant yellows, pinks, and purples. The sun smiled down from the sky with the perfect warmth. The ambiance was positively delightful for an outdoor breakfast. A gentle breeze tousled the layers of my short hair.