Chapter two- Wait..what did you just say?

"Wait." Spring whispers. I stop in my tracks nearly falling onto Spring since I was occupied looking at the signs

"Stay here, I'll tell you when to come." Spring says taking off towards the gas station

I don't say anything and let her walk off but I was confused, she never left me alone. I quickly shoved my hand into my pocket and opened the knife, she had taught me to do that if I thought I was in danger since no one could see the knife And I'd already have it open, just in case. I could fell the initials carved into the glossy red wood it read "G.C" the initials of our dad, The night we snuck out Spring took all of our belongings back from a locker she had to steal a code for. That's where she got the knife back.

I watched her, she was moving swiftly while keeping an eye on her surroundings. I had know idea what was going on. She stopped at the grass in front of the station where news article boxes were left.

"Come here." Spring says slowly and quietly but loud enough for me to hear from my distance.

I start my way to to spring "what is it?" She dose not respond and waves me closer.

"All of these newspapers say that there's a virus, that's probably what this whole city thing is" spring pauses.

"Sam... this virus causes violence in deceased victims, "this apocalypse verges with more then six million infected in small town Jamesville, victims turn and attack staff of hospitals and anyone near them. U.S officials recommend staying indoors and rationing food" Sam.." Spring mutters

"Is this a joke!" I scream while Spring puts her hand over my mouth.

She takes her hand off after looking towards the station and gestures me to follow her as she creeps up the neglected gas station road. As we get closer I notice she's hiding just bellow the windows, so I do the same.

"Look" Spring says with her back pinned against the wall pointing at a sign on the glass door. It read "he's dead my husband is dead! The first person to this gas station can have everything in it."

"this must be true, if not the metal doors would be down." Spring says

"We're the first ones here since the traffic. Stay here" spring says as she peeks past the wall to look trough the tick glass door, the key was in the door and Spring slowly turned them as she stood up.

"Come on" Spring whispered. I was felling sick to my stomach at this point it was unbelievable and Spring was staying strong for me the whole time. I mean this can't be happing "undead" that's what movies say. The gas station was untouched, Spring went up and down the isles studying everything.

"We're gonna stay here for a while, let's find a way into the back office so we can put the metal doors down before someone breaks through the traffic."

I didn't know what to say and just followed her behind the counter, I want collapse on the floor, the government will fix this right?

Spring was crouched down searching the shelves beneath the counter top.
Not before long she picks up a photograph of a man and women in front of the store holding a grand opening sign in either hand, the smile on the mans face resembled my fathers, and then I did collapse, Spring practically threw photo back in the shelf, and embraced me in a hug. Her hugs always made me comfortable. But with the combined effort of the apocalypse and my dad didn't help.

"Hey, it's ok we're going to be safe In Here." Spring stops hugging me and the once warm tears are soaked into the collar of my wind breaker to my my white button up that was only poking out of the holes of my jacket.

Spring stands up and looks around for a second before landing her eyes on something.

"look, backpacks, hiking ones." Spring says as I'm standing myself up, I'm better now but still in shock, you can't blame me That I'm scared of a nearly inevitable death.

"I'll go get us them." I say and Spring nods in approval. As I walk over to the backpacks I catch glimpses of myself in the reflection of refrigerator doors. I looked miserable but Spring did well, I looked anything but homeless, so did she. She was wearing a pair of checkered vans I forced her to buy along with a adidas 3-Striped Woven Windbreaker, hers was thinner then mine and was navy blue, we both always wear button ups beneath our jackets to keep warm.

The backpacks were big and came with a sleeping bag attached to the side by Velcro straps. Before I could make it back to the counter Spring interrupts the silence.

"A key! this should work for the staff room."  Spring says energetically making me more comfortable.