Something in Washington

Start from the beginning

Benjamin crossed his arms as he stood with a smug smirk. "Don't sound too happy to see me?" Paris and Rory left, they've witnessed enough of our verbal spars that just being in the same room as us gave them a headache.

"I'd sound a lot happier if your head was on fire," I retort before moving off to check if what he said was really true. Making my way towards the notice board, Benjamin kept up with my fast walk and walked beside me.

"Now that's no way to talk to your partner," he chided in that annoying voice of his that made me want to punch his face and fix his nose.

I roll my eyes at him so hard that I was afraid they'd get stuck. "If my partners a jackass, I think that warrants me a exception."

We both stop in front of the board as I scan the names, making sure that life really was messing with me. "Wow, aren't we extra feisty today." He retorted with a smirk.

When I spot my name next to Benjamin's, I wanted to punch whoever made the list. Everyone knew we couldn't stand each other. So of course they just had it partner us up.

"If anymore shit comes out of your mouth, your parents might have to rename you Asshole." I said with fake sympathy.

"I bet it took you a while to come up with that one didn't it?" He fired back as I clench my jaw in anger.

"I cannot stand you," I snarled out with a glare. "I'm gonna get someone to switch with me." 

As I made my way to find someone to switch their partners with me, Benjamin called out from his spot. "Yeah, I thought so. You can't handle me."

Stopping in my tracks, I pinch the bridge of my nose in frustration. He was baiting me and I knew it. I made my way back to him with a glare. "Fine, I'll see you tonight partner." I spit out.

"Geez, you're looking a little red." He comments, making me grind my teeth down so hard I was afraid they'd crack. "You should take off your blazer," he eyes the dark blue blazer on my shoulder.

Instead of saying anything I just walk away from him. Not before flipping him off from behind me.

~~~

The debate had gone better than I expected. Benjamin may have been annoying, a jackass and rude but he was also pretty good at debate. Of course, I'd never say that aloud. We were both civilised to each other throughout the debate since we were both too preoccupied on winning to constantly quarrel with each other.

By the way, if you think this is the part where we both put aside our hate for each other and find out we're not that different after all. Then we have that whole 'you're not so bad after all conversation', you're wrong. You couldn't have been more wrong.

After that, we just went back to hating each other even more. We kept making digs at things each of us did wrong during the debate. For one, he would keep talking about how I spoke too fast that no one could understand me. And I just argued back that he spoke so slow that our time was running out.

Needless to say, we were both happy to be leaving the next day and never see each other again. Well, he wasn't the only reason I was happy to be leaving the next day. Jess and I called a few times over the summer, but it was pretty hard since I constantly had something to do or Jess wouldn't be the one to answer the phone.

It would be hard trying to hide something this big from my mum but we could make it work. I was sure of it. The only thing I was dreading back home was the heat. It may have been hot in Washington as well, but it was even hotter in Stars Hollow. Most people would enjoy the heat, but not me.

"What do you think?" I snapped my head in the direction of Paris and Rory.

Paris was wearing a floral dress that stopped just below her knee and a black cardigan that matched the flowers on the dress. Her hair that was usually in its long ponytail was let go and falling down her back.

They both looked at me expectantly. "You look great!" I tell them both.

"You really think so?" Paris asks, unsure of herself.

"It looks so great that if Jamie bailed on you, I'd take you out myself," I say confidently. Right after I spoke there was a knock at the door. "There goes my plans," I joke.

Paris looked at the door with wide eyes. "He's here!" Rory said happily.

Paris looked to the two of us. "You sure I look okay?"

"You have to calm down. You look amazing," Rory confirmed with a small smile.

"You swear?"

"We swear," I spoke up from my place on the bed.

She flashed us both an appreciating smile. "Thanks, now get in the closet."

"What?" Rory and I asked simultaneously.

"If he comes in and see's either one of you, he won't wanna date me anymore." Paris explained as if it were common sense.

"He's seen us," I protest.

Rory nods in agreement. "He's seen us for weeks."

"That was in crowded lecture halls and banquet rooms with lots of people. He didn't see you two when it's at night, it's dating time," she says as I sigh.

"Isn't anytime dating time?" I voice out.

"Please, I can't risk it." Paris begs, ignoring my question. "At least if I've got nothing to compare me to then I've got a fine chance."

Rory sighs. "Alright, let's go Cassie." She walked over to me and dragged me of the bed by the arm. She shoved me into the dark closet, not taking note of my protests.

"When you get home, you need to get a new therapist cause the one you have right now really isn't working." I comment through the open closet door.

Rory comes back into the closet with two books and a flashlight. She hands me one book before closing the door before saying a goodbye to Paris. The small space was dark until Rory lit up the flashlight.

"So," I start. "At least when we get back home we can tell our mums we came out of the closet."