Be Nice

My room was dimly lit by the reading light beside my bed. Moving my position slightly against the head board so I could get myself more comfortable as I read my book. My pyjama pants and long sweater making me feel warm and cozy, despite the lack of duvet over me.

I read a few more chapters before checking the clock by my bedside table. Eight-thirty. I sigh before closing my book and putting it down.

My mum usually gets back late on Saturday nights so I get the house to myself for a while. That meant watching movies that my mum would never wanna watch with me. Namely, Finding Nemo and A Goofy Movie.

I stand up and stretch before heading toward my closed room door. My hand was on the door handle when I heard a tap from my window. I turn towards it skeptically. I had my curtains drawn so I had no idea whether it was a serial killer or a squirrel outside.

As carefully as I can, I grab the nearest thing to me that could knock someone out. That happened to be my blue water bottle. Slowly, I make my way towards the window with my arm raised. I push the curtain aside, ready to face a murderer but all I got was a face full of Jess.

He sends me a wave as I drop the bottle in my hand. I push open the window to see Jess was standing on the same ladder he had used last time. He leaned against my now open windowsill with a grin.

"You planning on drowning me with that bottle of water?" He mocks.

He climbs inside as I shut the window behind him. "You know I have a front door right? You don't have to keep coming through the window."

He just shrugs. "I figured your mum still doesn't like me much."

"She's not home." I start as Jess sits on my bed. I watch as his eyes glance to my discarded book. "What're you doing here? You could've just called."

"I don't have your number." I clicked my tongue as I realise he was right. "Also, I need recommendations for apartments."

I take a seat opposite him on my bed. "You're moving out?" I asked surprised.

"More like me and Luke and moving out." He says as he recounts how Luke completely freaked out about being chased around by boxes with arms. He also added how he was supposed to clean Lorelai's gutters tomorrow.

Letting out a few laughs here and there, I answer his original question. "Well, there's some good apartments on Plum Street," I suggest as I try to think of other places. "Um, Peach Street too. Basically just any street named after a fruit."

Jess nods, no doubt taking mental notes of my suggestions. "What were you doing?" He changes the subject.

"I was just about to watch a movie downstairs," I point towards the closed door behind me.

"Cool, I'll join you."

I ran a hand through my dark hair at his forwardness. "Um, are you sure? If my mum see's you she'll pull a Norman Bates on you."

"She really doesn't like me, huh?"

"To be fair, we both didn't like you for a while," I clarify.

I could see Jess stiffen as I said those words. "But we're good now, right?"

I send him a soft smile at his concern. "Yes, we're good."

"Then let's watch the movie, you said your mum's not home anyways." He tries as he stands up as makes his way toward the door.

I sigh before following his lead and opening the door. "Fine, but I'm choosing the movie."

I lead him down the stairs to the living room. I watched as Jess looked at the many pictures that we had in the house. He walked toward one of me and my mum from thirteen years ago.