Game night

The air was already cold but now it got colder. Every time I inhaled I smelt the coldness.

August turned to October and the professors game night rolled around. And the Hogsmeade trip would be soon.

It was only a few weeks away but I couldn't wait. Every time I saw him I felt joy, and now that I wasn't in too much denial, I enjoyed it all.

Remus told me that he would pick me up from my quarters to show me to the professors lounge. I had already been there, some prank I pulled, but I wanted him to walk me there. I truly wanted to spend time with him so I was lying.

What had become of me?

I wanted to wear something that was casual but something that made me feel pretty. While at the same time made me fell comfortable.

I felt like I was sixteen again, trying my hardest to find an outfit for a date with a boy who didn't know what he was doing.

After a bit of trying on too many outfits I settled on a warm red sweater. Sweaters were the safe and comfortable bet. Any type of pants would go with them and jewelry as well.

Small gold snakes coiled around my fingers and a long gold chain finished the look.

I looked and felt casual and comfortable. I wanted him to see I could be comfortable and still stylish.

Oh what was I doing?

I was truly acting like the teenager I was. I let her take the reins and make me feel insecure in what I would talk to him about.

How would I be when we went to Hogsmeade?? I would be worse, I knew it.

The door softly knocked as I smoothed the front of the sweater, which ruffled again when I turned to stare at the door. I couldn't open it. I would make a fool of myself.

But I had too.

I shuffled over to the door and slowly opened it. My unsure expression faded into a nervous smile when I saw Remus effortlessly leaning against the doorway.

"The color red suits you so well, Maeve." He finally said with a shake of his head to move his flopping hair. He said my name in the same way he said Ms. Reeves, at the end of the sentence and with charm.

My stomach did a flip and I knew my face had turned the shade of red my sweater was.

"Thank you .. Remus," I was already a fool and I hadn't even stepped out of my room, "I think the color, what, brown, suits you very well, too."

Remus laughed and stepped back to allow me room to walk out the door, "It's actually a dark green." He pointed to the sweater that he wore, the color was practically made for him.

"You know," he continued, his stride was hard to keep up with, "it's almost as if we're both wearing each other's opposing house colors."

I stopped mid stride, my feet collided together and I felt myself fly forwards. It was more dramatic in my head.

In the split second I was airborne, Remus grabbed my arm and pulled me back. I now fell back into him. His hand gripping my arm felt warm, tender— NO.

I couldn't do this now.

This all lasted about three seconds. It wasn't as embarrassing as it felt. At least I hoped it wasn't.

"It appears that way." I cleared my throat and tried to push myself up and away from him. But Remus kept his hand firmly on my arm, the sleeve of my sweater had rolled up some time during my trip and slight fall.

He looked at me cautiously, as if he was having a hard time letting go.

"I don't trust you enough, you might fall again." Remus muttered, looking from my arm to his hand.

"We could hold hands— in case I trip again, of course." I suggested. My brain froze and removed the filter I always used.

"Yes, of course," Remus smiled and his hand slid from my elbow to my hand, "in case you were to trip, again." His fingers interlocked with mine, his hand squeezed once and my heart swelled.

Maybe no filter was something I needed. If I was to ever become something more to him, than just a co-worker.

We both walked hand in hand to the teachers lounge.

Which looked like a boring door that was always locked.

But with a simple tap of Remus's wand, it opened and revealed all the teachers. Sitting in almost casual clothing.

"Oh, Maeve, dear!" Minerva squealed and rushed past the others towards the two of us. Remus reluctantly dropped my hand and let her engulf me in a sweet hug.

She always had a sweet spot for children, even if she looked stern and mean. I must've still looked like a child to her.

"Hi there," I smiled and let her linger in the hug. Finally she pulled away with a smile and a pep in her step, as she walked away to grab something.

The evening faded into a night of drinks and laughter. Which surprised me. I never thought I could ever have fun with these teachers.