Chapter 47: An Helper

"What?! HIV?!" His heart broke immediately. "But how?"

"Seriously? I have no idea. Luckily she's at the asymptomatic stage which means she can easily get treatment and live well."

"What's asymptomatic stage all about?"

"The asymptomatic stage of the virus as the name suggests, this stage of HIV infection does not cause outward signs or symptoms. A person may look and feel well but HIV is continuing to weaken their immune system. This stage may last several years, an average of 8 to 10 years, and without a HIV test many people do not know they are infected. But I assure you, Zainab could live an healthy and beautiful life if she's is well treated and all of that."

"Okay, what do I need to do, doctor?"

"You'll have to bring her for sessions from time to time. I'll advise twice a week to receive injections and advises... More like a therapy session with a specialist. I'll send you to a doctor who's a specialist in treating cases like this, especially with children." The doctor advised.

"Okay sir, that would be nice. Thank you."

The young doctor scribbled something on a piece of paper he took from a tiny box on his table.

"Okay, this is his phone number. He's just a friend of mine but he doesn't work in this hospital but, I'll advise you give him a call. He could render home services as well. It's between you two."

"Okay doctor. I'll surely call him. I need to protect Zainab in every way." He collected the paper from the doctor. "Is there any other thing, doctor?"

"Yes, because we checked her we also was that she's having malaria. Well, that would be treated as soon as possible." He took out another sheet of paper and prescribed some drugs.

"Take his sir." He handed it to Mr. Abdullahi.

"You should give the pharmacist on your way out."

"Okay doctor."

"Ermmm... Apart from the malaria, we found out that she was violently or should I say forced into sexual activity. Sorry for saying this but, We wanted to know what caused the virus so we checked. What really happened to that young girl if I may ask." He raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

"It's a long story sir. The incident happened 4 months ago. That was before I took her in but, I assure you she would be safe with me." Mr Abdullahi assured.

"Okay. But I'll suggest she comes for antiretroviral therapy (ART)."

"What's that about?"

"The ART involves taking a combination of HIV medicines every day. Antiretroviral therapy is also recommended for everyone who has HIV. People with HIV should start taking HIV medicines as soon as possible. ART can't cure HIV, but HIV medicines help people with HIV live longer, healthier lives. ART also reduces the risk of HIV transmission. The main goal of HIV treatment is to reduce a person's viral load to an undetectable level. An undetectable viral load means that the level of HIV in the blood is too low to be detected by a viral load test. People with HIV who maintain an undetectable viral load have effectively no risk of transmitting HIV to their HIV-negative partners through sex... Invade of future purposes and all that."

"Okay doctor, I understand. So like.. when would she be discharged?"

"It won't take long, I promise. Probably tomorrow or next tomorrow, it depends on how fast she responds to treatment. But we've neutralized the poison in her and she's responding well. She would need a lot of rest and time to heal." I'll suggest to get soft fruits and milk for her in case she wakes up. She would be transferred into the other ward to join other patients as soon as possible to, there's nothing to worry about Mr. Abdullahi."

"Okay, thank you doctor." Mr. Abdullahi smiled as her shakes the doctor before taking his leave.

"You're welcome sir, bye."

"Bye."

***

Meanwhile, Melvin woke up in the hospital. His eyes looked bulgy and swolked due to that strike, Humaira gave him. Melvin saw his mum beside him he tried to sit upright but a deep pain hit him by his forehead.

"Don't bother turning." Mrs. Johnson told her son as she gently placed his head, back to the pillow.

His head was wrapped with bandage and he was responding to treatment as well. His whole body seemed to ache as he turn his face to the direction of his mother.

"Mo...ther." He muttered. "Where'd she?"

"Who are you talking about, Melvin. You need to rest."

"Humaira... I offended her."

Mrs. Johnson gently cupped his face into her palms, wondering how hurt her son must be feeling. It's all that useless girl's fault she almost lost her only son's life.

"Don't worry my son. Just take care of yourself first. Everything would be alright." She assured.

I need to see her, mother. Her muttered and swallowed. Then he coughed. Don't say any more word, my son. That girl is cursed, uttering her name again might kill you.

"No, mo...ther." his voice sounded hoarse. Then he coughed and coughed again.

With tears, Mrs. Johnson brought out a swan bottle water from the food basket behind her and poured a little amount into a stainless cup. She placed it on his lips as her drank. Slowly and gradually until he finishes it.

"I n...eed more water..." He muttered again. And she gave him more.

"You need to rest my son, and forget about that little witch for now. Thank God you're getting better." She took out a clean, white hanky to wipe away the water that mistakenly poured from his mouth. "I'll make sure you forget about her anyways. She'll definitely rot in jail."

Tears dropped from the side of his eyes. His mum wiped it off too. Melvin knew that somehow, Humaira must have been arrested. He blaned himself for everything but quitely recieved his treatment.

***

On the other hand, Melody sent Mrs. Bridget a letter that she had to travel with an uncle of hers that visited Nigeria. It was so urgent, she couldn't come to inform her boss, herself.

Well, it's a good thing that no one suspected her. She planned everything alone and smoothly and things fell to her plan how she'd expected and even more.
At least, She didn't plan to force Melvin on Humaira and she wasn't the one responsible for making her hit Melvin so hard. So, things worked out well, even better than she'd planned. It seems God is on her side after all. She traveled to start a new life in a small City, somewhere in South Africa. She started her own cloth business and schooled in a new university at the countryside. Things changed for the better, for her.

Melvina, Melvin's twin sister resumed work with Mrs. Bridget. Melvin joined his sister weeks later while Humaira missed her classes. She cries every now and then. Other prisoners don't pay attention to her as everyone has faced their own piece of hell and everyone has a story to tell.

Humaira's co-prisoners were either prostitutes or members of a gang. She decided to accept her fate just the way it is. Non knows about where she is and how she survives.

During visiting hours, she sits and watch how people come and goes. The visitors would bring fruits and other eatable junks for their friends or familes in prison. There was only one person Humaira used to talk with. Her name was Janet. She was about ten years older than Humaira but she keeps encouraging her to stop crying and that very soon. She would get released.

***
Enjoy reading and please, don't forget to press the tiny orange star ★ at the end of each chapter to notify me you've actually read it... So! What are we waiting for! Continue reading this story of family, adventure, mystery and plot twists and also, don't forget to comment.