Part II, Chapter 18

Beau Myers thought that the raid was almost too easy, especially at first. Their trucks packed with soldiers quickly sped past the barriers and checkpoints at the Tennessee border while the disorganized Tennessee troops had simply stared in amazement. After the border, everyone they encountered waved at them apparently thinking them to be some of their own troops. Beau couldn’t quite figure it out until he noticed with a start that everyone was wearing the same U.S. Army uniforms and no one thought to look close enough to tell the difference. Eventually, what gave them away were their license plates.

They made good time south on the Purchase Parkway, but Beau got confused and they had to turn around several times before finding the right farm where the tanks were hidden. Everything was totally rearranged by the debris and destruction left by the tornados. There were people and vehicles going in every direction. It certainly helps us blend in, thought Beau. Hardly anyone gives us a second glance.

Finally Beau was able to spot the bright red barn he had seen from the air. The initial plan had been to park the vehicles a distance away and approach the tanks on foot in a combat wedge formation. Now, given that time was essential, they decided to press on.

They hoped to find the tanks unguarded; no such luck. As they pulled into the farm driveway, a man in uniform with a weapon slung over his shoulder stepped out into their path from a group of men idling in the shade. He held his hand up for them to stop.

“Hold on right there!” he yelled in a pompous tone. “No one goes any further. Orders from General Sampson himself.” The man seemed very pleased and self-important by the fact that he was able to utter these words and had probably waited in anticipation of saying them to someone.

Beau and Sergeant Major Givens were in the lead vehicle. They looked at each other for a moment and Beau saw the Sergeant Major tighten his grip on his weapon and Beau knew he was getting ready to fight. Beau thought it might be worth pushing their luck a little further and stepped out of the vehicle towards the man.

“We’re here on orders from General Sampson,” said Beau with what he hoped was conviction. “I am Captain Myers and this is my platoon. We’re to relieve you of your duty so you can return to your unit. They need you there.”

The man looked confused and uncertain. “Yes sir, but…are you sure? That doesn’t make any sense to me.”

“I don’t think General Sampson took you into consideration when he made his plans,” said Beau. “I suggest you get back to your unit as fast as you can and leave the guard duty to us.”

“Guard duty?” asked the man again, confused.

“The tanks?” said Beau, “We’re to guard the tanks now. You can go.”

The man looked even more confused. “We’re not here to guard the tanks, we’re supposed to attack with them north when we get the word. These are our tanks and we’re not…” The man’s voice trailed off as he noticed the Kentucky license plates.

It would have only taken a moment to switch the plates, thought Beau seeing what the man was looking at, but it didn’t occur to anyone.

Meanwhile the man’s head turned back to Beau with his eyes wide. Beau shrugged and smiled. The man started to grab his weapon off his shoulder, but Beau drew the 9mm Beretta pistol from his holster and pointed it at him. At the same time he felt the Sergeant Major come up behind him with his rifle and cover the other men in the shade, who looked up in amazement.

The Kentucky men quickly got out of the vehicles and helped disarm the Tennessee soldiers, placing them in neat seated rows where they could be easily watched. The Sergeant Major ordered the demolition team to get to work on the tanks. Beau started to turn to look at the three tanks about a hundred yards to their left, when he heard a rough loud coughing noise and saw smoke suddenly come billowing from the engine compartment of one of the tanks. It was starting up. Evidently all the tankers aren’t idling in the shade, Beau realized.