Chapter 13: Bright eyes

Thorin POV

We all climbed down the rock, all the while Tygr was laughing and joking with Kili and Fili. I felt light hearted, I saw a light in her that wasn't there before... she had pure innocence and happiness radiating from her. "Thorin, are you alright?" I heard Bilbo ask. I looking at the hobbit and nodded. "Tygr, does she seem happier to you?" I asked. "Yes, she does actually." Bilbo said. "That is because she had no memory of the hardships she's faced. They haven't happened yet at the age she is in right now." Gandalf said. "What do you mean?" I asked. "Well, Tygr told you about all that happened to her when she was younger?" Gandalf asked. I nodded. "Well, all of that happened in an age older than she is right now. All she knows is what she's learned since she's been born." Gandalf said. "Wait what? Then how does she remember Thorin?" Bilbo asked. "That is simply because the memory of their bond runs through her blood. In her eyes she's known you all her life Thorin." Gandalf said. I looked at Tygr, she was holding each of Kili and Fili's hand and swinging between them, laughing happily. "So...your saying that all that has happened to her...hasn't happened to this Tygr?" I asked. Gandalf nodded. "Will she remember it?" Bilbo asked. "Sadly yes, she will, though her memories will come back...each and every one of you will impact on her personality and she will be different." Gandalf said. "So we're raising her?" Bilbo asked. Gandalf nodded. 'At least she can live without knowing that pain for a little while...' I thought to myself.

Tygr POV

I laughed loudly and swung high back and forth. Fili and Kili continued to swing me back and forth until I stopped. I looked back to see Thorin speaking with Gandalf. I went to run only to me picked up by my waist and tossed over someone's shoulder. "Leave him be for now lass. He's talking with Gandlaf." I heard a gruff voice say. "But Mr. Dwalin I wanna be with Thorinnnnn" I whined. Suddenly Balin was behind us and looking at me. "You can be with him later, he's busy right now." I sighed and blew hair out of my face. I growled irritated when it came back. "AGH! I hate all this stupid hair!" I pouted. Fili laughed and ruffled the top of my hair. "Want me to braid it for you when we stop for camp?" He asked. I smiled widely and nodded. "Yes please! Can you do a pretty one??" I asked. Fili chuckled and nodded, "I'm sure I can make one up." He said. I smiled then turned myself around and say on Dwalins shoulder. "Mr. Dwalin?" I asked looking at his head. "Aye?" He asked. "What are these markings on your head." I asked. "Their tattoos." He said. "Oh, cool...can I get a tattoo?" I asked. "Um...ask Thorin." He said. I twisted around. "Thorin!!!" I yelled. "Yes?" He replied. "Can I get a tattoo?" I asked with a smile. "Absolutely not!" He yelled. I pouted and turned back. "Awe..." I muttered. "It's okay...he said no to me too..." Kili said patting my back. I smiled and looked ahead to see miles and miles of open plains and hills. "It's so pretty..." I said in a wonder struck tone. "Yeah, it really is." Dwalin said. I smiled.

Thorin POV

We walked until the sun set. We found a nice spot near a waterfall and small lake. Tygr ran around happily "helping" various people. Really she was just talking to everyone. I grinned and shook my head as I unpacked my things then went to the lake to bathe.

I rung out my hair and pulled my pants back on. I went to grab my shirt and rolled my eyes realizing it's gone. "I swear, Kili is going to get it if I found out it was him." I muttered going back to the company. I grabbed another shirt and pulled it on then saw Fili and Bofur chasing Tygr. "Tygr!! You have to brush your hair!!!!" Fili growled sprinting after her. "Noooooooo!!!!!!" She yelled as she ran faster. I noticed she had no shoes on, her hair was flowing behind her like a wild long main. I sighed. "Tygr." I said. She skidded to a stop only to have Fili jump over her to avoid hitting her. "Come here," I said sitting down. She ran to me and stopped before smiling widely at me, her ears where perked up and her tail was wagging back and forth. "Yeah?!?!" She asked. "You need to take a bathe. Your filthy." I said. Her ears flattened. "Noooo!!!!" She whined and stamped her foot on the ground. I resisted the urdge to laugh from how cute she really was being. "You don't say no to me. Go." I said pointing to the lake. "I don't wanna go alone...it's dark and scary and I don't know how to swim!!" She said as she looked at the ground. 'Oh yeah...she didn't know how to swim when she was younger.' I thought. "Alright I'll go with you. Come on." I said. We went down to the lake and she stopped at the edge of the water. "P-please don't make me go in." She wimpered. I looked down at her and actually felt bad. I sighed and ran my fingers through my still wet hair. "Alright, at least wet your hair and I'll wash it." I said. She nodded then took off the shirt she was swearing, only it was the size for adult Tygr and now was like a dress. She still had the wrapp around her chest though, which I was thankful for. "Alright? Dunk it." Said. "Do it with me!!!" She said giggling. I raised an eyebrow. "What?" I asked. "Dunk your hair with me!!! I can wash yours!" She said happily. I sighed and rolled my eyes. "Alright." I took my shirt off and kneeled down next to the water. "Okay 1, 2, 3." I counted before we both dunked our heads into the water. I came out the same time at her and she was laughing her head off. I smiled and laughed. "Okay come here," I said before pulling her close to me. She sat down infront of me and I grabbed soap I brought along with me. I scrubbed it through her hair and behind her ears. I suddenly heard her starting to hum happily. I grinned, "what are you humming?" I asked as I continued to scrub. She shrugged, "I don't know, it was a song Mr. Bofur was singing earlier." She said. I grinned and nodded. "Okay, dunk your hair again." I said. She did just that then pulled her head out of the water...before shaking her hair around violently...like a dog. I held my hand up to block my face. "Hey! Watch it!" I laughed. She stopped then I saw her hair was as wild as it could be. "Okay! Your turn!" She said before quickly grabbing the soap and standing behind me. "Watch the braids." I said. She nodded and began scrubbing. 'Why am I letting a child wash my hair?' I though to myself. Just before she came infront of me and pulled my shoulders down so she could reach the front. She smiled with a successful expression. "Dunk!" She said. I dunked my head into the water and pulled it out. I rung out my hair and looked at her. "Good job Tygr." I stood and put my shirt back on. Tygr put her half shirt half dress back on. 'Ill have to figure out how to get her clothes that fit for the meantime.' I thought. I took her small hand in mine and led her back to the company. "Now, go let Fili brush your hair." I said. She nodded and ran to Fili.

I sighed and sat down, leaning against a boulder. I lit my pipe and smoked in peace. I looked over to see Kili trying to tame Tygr's hair with a braid, while she sat and played with a stick she found on the ground. I closed my eyes and relaxed, lightly drifting off.

I was jerked awake when something landed in my lap. I coughed and saw Tygr smiling. "Look what Kili did!!" She said turning around showing me a braid Kili did, exactly like his. "Want me to give you another?" I asked. She nodded and smiled. I proceeded to give where two braided just like the ones I had. She smiled when I finished and hugged me. "I'm hungry," she mumbled. "Go ask Bombur for some food, I'm sure he has some left over from dinner. I told you you shouldn't have skipped dinner." I said. She stuck her tongue out at me and walked off. I chuckled and waited for her to come back. She returned with an apple and some bread. "Here," she said as she ripped the bread in half and gave me some. I took it and nodded, "thank you" I said before eating it. I watched her nibble at it and look up at the sky. She yawned, I then noticed her canine teeth where large and sharp. My eyes widened because they where not like that before. "Why are your two teeth so big?" I asked. She looked at me wide eyed and with a mouthful of bread. She swallowed quickly, "I haven't grown into them yet." She said with a grin before yawning. "Oh okay, you should go to sleep." I said. She shook her head before yawning again. "N-no I'm on watch!" She said. I smile, "oh? And on who's authority?" I asked. "Mine..." She said before running off. I shook my head and grinned before smoking again.

Everyone in the company had now fell asleep and I stared amused at Tygr as she sat with her back straight though I watched her doze off and fall to the side about six times now. I sighed and shook my head, "well...she has determination." I muttered as I stood. I walked over and kneeled down. "Tygr?" I asked with a smirk on my face. "What?" She mumbled, obviously on the edge of falling asleep. "Are you tired?" I asked. "Yes...." She said. I chucked and picked her up, she nudged her head into my neck. "Was I good on watch?" She asked. I smiled and nodded. "Yes, very very good. Come on, you can sleep by the fire." I said walking over to where the company was. "Thorin, she can sleep with us." Kili said half asleep sitting up. I nodded and handed her to Kili and he set her down between them and covered her with a blanket. I nodded and nudged Nori. "Your on watch, wake up." I said. Nori nodded and got up. I laid down on the other side of the fire and glanced at Tygr between my nephews. I felt relief that I new she was safe, before turning my back. Suddenly I felt someone tap my shoulder. I turned and saw Tygr. Her bright green eyes where looking at mine. "Goodnight!" She said before hugging me and running back to sleep between Kili and Fili. "G-goodnight..." I said quietly before turning back with a grin on my face. I closed my eyes and fell asleep for the night.