Chapter 31: Smaug

Thorin POV

I watched Tygr as she glared down the hall. Her eyes where filled with undoubtful fury in her eyes. She turned and looked at me, "well, what do you want to do?" She asked me. I was about to answer before we suddenly heard a loud crash...I then realized that Bilbo was gone. "Stay here." I said before running off.

I ran around the corner of a tunnel and ran into Bilbo. "Your alive!" I said. "Not for much longer. I went to speak with Smaug again." He said. "Did you find the Arkenstone?" I asked. "The dragon is coming!" Bilbo said panicked. I however, wanted my answer. "The Arkenstone!" I yelled. I blocked the halflings way and looked at him. "Did, you find it." I asked. "No! We need to get out!" He said. I felt my blood boil, I swung my sword blocking his path before pointing it to his chest. "T-thorin..." He said. I flinched hearing the ground shake and saw Smaug coming around the corner. Suddenly a black mass ran by me, grabbing Bilbo on its way. I looked in shock at Tygr in her fighting form run and throw Bilbo I to a tunnel before turning to me. I looked on frozen as Smaugs chest began to glow. Tygr then ran at me and ducked her head and pushed me up onto her back. I turned and held onto her fur. "Hurry Tygr!" I yelled as she slid and clawed the stone pulling herself out of the fire shot that came as soon as we where out of the way. "You will burn!!" I heard Smaug yell. I suddenly was thrown off Tygrs back and she whined in pain. I then realized her tail had caught on fire. I quickly stomped on it and extinguished it. She formed into a girl and whipped tears away. "Son of a bitch!" She hissed holding her scorched tail tip. "We will wrap it soon, will you be okay for now my love?" I asked concerned. "Yes, come on. Get back on." She said as she was about to change into a wolf again. "Wait, why are you asking me riding on your back?" I asked. "I'm not asking. I'm telling. Don't argue with me Thorin Oakenshield I am NOT in the mood." She snapped before quickly changing. I was shocked then mounted her. I could feel every one of her muscles underneath me. I then saw the company come to me. I directed her to a large open walkway. I saw the company and Bilbo on the other side. "Shh...go across quietly." I whispered in her ear. She swiftly and silently ran across the walkway and slid to a stop on the other side. I got off and she formed back. "Tygr your tail!" Gloin said, concerned since he was our healer. "Do you have anything for it?" she asked, obviously in intense pain. Gloin immediately placed some ointment on it and wrapped it quickly. "Thank you so much!" She sighed in relief. "Aye, that's a pain gel. All the pain should be gone soon." Gloin said. She smiled thankfully, "now what?" Bilbo asked. "We've given him the slip." Dori said. "No, he's too cunning for that." Dwalin said. "So where to now?" Bilbo asked. "The western guardroom. There may be a way out." I said. Tygr looked up at me, "where is it?" She asked. Before I could reply Balin spoke up. "It's too high. There's no chance that way." Balin said. "It's our only chance. We have to try." I said. Tygr nodded.

We ran quickly and quietly until we reached the western guardroom. "Stay close." I said grabbing Tygr's shoulder, slightly pulling her closer. "Okay," she said. We entered a room and...where shocked. There where rotted, dust and cobweb covered corpses. "Oh mahal..." I heard Tygr whisper and cover her mouth. "That's it then. There's no way out." Dwalin said. We looked at the situation and it seemed as though they where trapped in the room to die. "The last of our kin. They must have come here, hoping beyond hope. We could try to reach the Mines. We might last a few days." Balin said. "The mines?" Tygr asked. "No. I will not die like this. Cowering, clawing for breath. We make for the forges." I said. "The forges?" Tygr asked again. "He'll see us, sure as death." Dwalin said. "Well fine don't answer me." I heard Tygr say though kept talking to Dwalin. "Not if we split up." I said. "Thorin, we'll never make it." Balin said. "Some of us might. Lead him to the forges." I said. Suddenly Tygr grabbed my shirt and pulled me down to her height. "What. Are. The. Forges." she said. "You'll see." I said pulling her hands off of me. I looked at my company, "We kill the dragon. If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together." I said. Tygr slid her small hand into mine and held it tight. "I want to go with you." She said. I nodded.