Damien grinned at her through the rear view mirror and concentrated on the road but he nearly swerved over a divider when Nalini jumped in panic.

"We need to get something from my house! It's urgent!" She half shouted and then apologised to the other panicked people in the car.

They stopped by the corner of her street and she ran along the side walk and then into her house.

"I hope this is important. She nearly gave me a heart attack," Damien complained and then he leaned back against his seat.

"Must be some homework," Hanna suggested.

They watched as Nalini ran out of her house and down the street with a small box in her hand.

"That's not homework," Lola said.

"It's sweets. We never go to someone's house empty handed. It's rude," She said smiling.

"Indian sweets?" Damien eyed the box curiously.

"Barfi, the best you will ever have," Nalini said proudly and he immediately took out one. He snarfed it down and smiled at her gratefully.

"You remind me of my grandmother. She used to give me these all the time," He said and then he started driving again.

"Just what every girl wants to hear," Nalini muttered under her breath and Hanna burst out laughing.

They reached Damien's large suburban house after a while and the girls got down slowly as they took in the luxurious landscape filled with greenery and colorful well kept bushes of flowers. His house was angular and wide, the walls a dark grey, it reminded Lola of those edgy designer houses she sometimes saw in magazines.

Damien walked in and they followed him through the house to the back. Lola's nerves were on edge as she spotted the pool house.

"Wow, this is some place," Hanna murmured, her eyes raking over the glistening blue pool and the barbecue pit next to it.

"Where are your parents?" Lola asked Damien as he took out two cold beers from his fridge.

"They're on vacation. You guys want some beer?" He gestured to the many other bottles lying idly in the fridge.

Lola eyed the fizzy looking yellow drink, feeling oddly curious. She'd never tried beer before and now she was seriously contemplating his offer.

When would she ever get another chance like this?

"Oh they don't drink." She whirled around to see Julian walking into the kitchen, wearing some loose pants and a white t-shirt. He looked better than she remembered but his tone was so judgemental it caused a prickle of irritation to run down her spine.

She remembered the way he had insulted her for not letting him smoke in her room.

He could really be a dick without even trying.

"What makes you think we don't?" She put her hands on her hips and stared at him crossly.

Julian took a step back and raised his hands innocently. "Just a guess."

"I'll have one. Thanks." She grabbed a bottle from Damien, with her eyes still glued to Julian's.

"You should drink because you want to. Not just to prove a point, Lola," Julian said sternly.

The two of them had a stare down while their friends could only look on, not knowing what was happening.

"I'll do what I want, thank you very much," Lola snapped.