Chapter 7

"I think the last time I've been this nervous was when Damien knocked into me on the second day of freshman year and said 'sorry'," Nalini said as she walked to her locker and took out her books.

"Why are you nervous? You're not the one who's going to talk to him," Lola frowned because she was the one who had to somehow approach him today and get him to help. Julian was right, the longer he stayed at Lola's place the higher the chances of him being caught.

All it would take was her mother suddenly deciding to do the family's laundry on her off day or wanting to tidy up Lola's room even though she'd always reinforced how she could handle her room herself. 

She leaned against Nalini's locker and stared at Damien Reed who had just walked into the school hallway they were in. It didn't even take a second for his best friend Tyrone to join him and then a bunch of football jocks. 

"Well I'm not going to talk to him now but once you do, it will give me the chance to show him what he's been missing all these years. Did you know Damien's grandmother is Indian like me? It's like we were made for each other," Nalini clasped her hands together and stared at the ceiling dreamily.

"Why don't we just let her do it?" Hanna asked. She took out her books from her locker and held them under her chin. "I find that whole group so intimidating." 

"Nalini can't go anywhere near him. We'd never get him alone if Eva saw her," Lola narrowed her eyes at her best friend. "Of all people to become rivals with, why did you have to choose her?"

As if on cue, Eva and her posse of cheerleader's walked through the hallway and all the student's standing around parted for them like the red sea. They had no choice, the large group of girls pushed anyone standing in their way. 

For a moment Lola felt a pang of envy as she watched Eva walk ahead of the group with her head held high. Despite being a junior, she practically owned the school. Unlike Lola, she didn't have to worry about talking to Damien or anyone else. 

Lola briefly wondered what it must be like in her shoes, having the power of snapping your fingers and having your minions scramble around to your every whim and fancy. Eva's group of friends did everything they could to keep in her tightly knit circle. They organized the parties she wanted, dated the guy's she felt were worthy and followed her around the entire day which must be exhausting given Eva's heavy portfolio. 

"I got an 'A' in case you were wondering," Eva side glanced the girls, barely noticing Lola or Hanna. Her gaze was focused solely on Nalini.

All six cheerleaders standing behind her immediately lost all interest and started playing with their phones. Even Lola sighed in disdain, it was safe to say everyone here was sick of this childish feud between Eva and Nalini except the two of them. 

"I wasn't but thanks for the information. I'll add it to the list of things I don't care about," Nalini smiled. "I bet you're wondering what my grade was." 

"No, why should I care about second best," Eva smiled non chalantly and flipped her long brown hair over her shoulder but everyone could see that was a lie. 

"You'll see. Mr. Haymitch put it up on the board."

Eva's eyes widened and she practically ran away from them with her band of cheerleader's falling behind. Lola watched her in her Dior crop top and skinny jeans that must have cost more than her entire wardrobe. 

"I will never understand her. All that money and popularity and she's running to see what grade you got on a test," Lola muttered. 

"Yeah, me too. Never have, never will." Hanna slammed her locker shut and then turned to Lola and Nalini. "But I think she just gave me an idea on how to get Damien alone."