26. The Lies That Make Us

Start from the beginning

Everyone was here. His parents, Mrs Laurent, Lucas, Marie and Tyler.

"Alex, darling!" Mrs Laurent exclaimed as she got up from her seat and rushed off, pulling me into a tight hug. "I'm sorry we put you on the spot last time you were over."

"It's okay, Mrs Laurent. Really." I smiled to reassure her before I looked over at the person who had saved me.

Tyler was the only one not smiling at us. Instead he looked disinterested in the situation. Then his eyes to my hands. Only then did I notice that my hands were now tightly interlocked with Dylan's. When did the jerk grab hold of my hand?

I turned and glared at Dylan. He squeezed my hands tightly, before leaning in and whispering, "Smile babe. They're not going to believe we're dating if you look at me like that."

Who the hell said we were dating?

"You know it's rude if you keep on standing while the rest of us are sitting down," Tyler said.

"Yes, cousin," Dylan replied, his eyes held amusement. "But, there's no seat for us to sit at."

Everyone including me looked at the crazy person he was. There was an armchair next to Mrs Laurent and a spot between Tyler and Lucas.

Mrs Laurent smiled, as understanding dawned her her faster than it did us. "You want a seat for you and her then?"

He nodded as he smiled like a proud boy.

I glared at him. "I'll sit next to Mrs Laurent." I moved towards where she was now sitting.

"Nonsense," Dylan pulled me back to his side. "We're dating so you're sitting next to me."

The words 'we're dating' in the same sentence made me cringe. Did he suffer a head trauma on our drive here? Or maybe his ego had gotten to big for his head that it's deterred his sense of thinking?

"Tyler, you go sot next to Gran." He smiled innocuously at his cousin.

"Why should I? I came here first." Tyler argued.

"I'll go." I volunteered, making towards the seat next to Mrs Laurent.

"No," Dylan pulled me back to his side. "Stop doing that."

"You stop doing that." I snapped. "I want to sit. My legs hurt from walking around."

"Tyler, move."

"No."

"Are you guys having that time of the month?" Lucas interrupts. "Geesh! I'll move." He got up and sat next to Mrs Laurent, whose eyes are on the two idiots arguing over a seat.

"Come babe," Dylan said as he pulled me to the couch.

I sat between them, hoping they wouldn't try to murder the other.

"So, Alex, how long have you known Gregory?" Mrs Rush asked.

"Uhm.." I paused unsure of what to say. "A month?"

"A month?" She looked shocked. "Really?"

I nodded.

"And how long have the two of you been dating?"

I was just about to explain how her son was having a crazy delusion and how we should check him into the nearest psych ward when said son squeezes my thigh hard.

"Two weeks," he lied easily. I guess acting was useful sometimes.

"Oh!" Mrs Rush smiled wide. "I guess when you know, you know, right?"