07 | in the dark

CHAPTER SEVEN...

Erik and Charles sat in the back of the truck, on their way to capture Shaw. In front of them were a dozen CIA agents, and Moira and her partner driving. The air was tense, Erik swore he saw several men praying. He tried to keep his heartbeat steady, and held his gaze with anyone who dared look at him.

There was a knock on the boarded up hole that let them communciate with the driver, and Charles and Erik opened it to reveal an anxious looking Moira.

Her partner said. "We got a problem." Erik's stomach dropped.

"What?!" Charles asked.

"I'm so sorry, this wasn't on the map." Moira said curtly. Up ahead, Erik spotted a Russian stop point. At least half a dozen armed men patrolled the gate. They weren't getting through without being noticed. Erik suddenly knew they had failed.

"No matter what happens." Charles said, his voice wavering slightly. "Act normally." They closed the latch, and turned back toward the soldiers. Erik looked at Charles incredulously. What on earth could save them from a checkpoint?

"Now listen to me," Charles said loudly. "Do as I say, and when that door opens, do not engage..." The men nodded, but as they heard the jolt of a truck door slamming shut, they still raised their guns to the back door.

As the chains rattled, several placed their fingers eagerly on the triggers.

"Whoa, whoa." Charles said, standing up in the crowded caravan, placing two fingers on his temple. "Easy there, chaps." there was a loud clunk of a gun cocking, and Erik stiffened as the chains on the back door began to clatter. Surely they should fire and kill the guards before they had a chance to alert anyone else. But Charles stood his ground, his finger touching his head, never so much as moving to attack.

In an instant, the door swung open, and the CIA Agent, wearing a fur hat and a skeptical look on his face, peered inside the truck, where dozens of soldiers pointed their rifles at the Russian guard beside him. But the guard did not call for backup, he did not raise his gun. Instead he surveyed the back with mild disinterest. Charles made a small noise of strain, and it was a moment before Erik realized he was controlling the Guards mind to make it seem like they were not in the back of the truck.

One of the other Russian guards called to another, but it was in a playful sort of tone, nothing to imply they were being infiltrated by the CIA. Their agent asked for confirmation, the Russian nodded, then the doors closed with another jolt that shook Erik to his very core. Charles let out a relieved sigh. Erik along with him, and the tightness in the air lessened. Charles looked at Erik, and Erik patted Charles' knee in congratulations.

The truck thundered on, and Erik's heart raced inside his chest. He thought about what he would when they found Shaw. Erik imagined what it would feel like to watch the life leave his captor's eyes. Erik would tell Shaw Leena had sent him, he'd make good on his promise and send Shaw to hell, no matter which one. It was the least he could do. Despite everything Erik had gone through, despite how much he wanted to deny it, he cared for the young mutant more than anyone else. She reminded him of his mother, soft and kind, with a tender heart. Yet beneath the gentleness, beneath the fragility, there was a fighter inside of Leena, a warrior.