CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

Val rubbed a hand over her face, groaning as she turned on the thin mattress.

His name was Evan.

David's son.

Evan...

He'd tried to reach for her, and she had pulled back. She remembered how her heart had been close to bursting, and how her head was spinning, panicking.

David pulled him back when he understood, eyes glazing over with whatever he was saying over the link. Something had pulled at her when he was being led away; her wolf howled in her head to follow. She thought she might try to shift, but after their fight with that female, she didn't seem as inclined to.

His grey eyes had stayed on her the whole time, blue and gold pulsing with the presence of his wolf.

The silence after had been deafening, broken the moment the remaining people started dropping on one knee one after the other. Men and women who'd laughed when she'd rushed that they got up; who'd doubtlessly sworn to follow and protect her with their lives.

Damian couldn't meet her eyes, or maybe it was her. Nevertheless, it had been a relief when Mark pulled her forward to meet everyone.

How did they find it so easy to just throw their lives away for her if it came to it?

When.

She was going to get them killed.

It wasn't worth it. She wasn't. And she found it hard to accept that she was to be their Alpha when it was clear that any one of them could do a better job than she ever could.

Once introductions were over, Lana showed her around. Apparently, that place was a lot bigger than she thought.

There were large rooms with beds for people to sleep in; a lot of them and arranged in long corridors. There was a large kitchen room, one that they used for planning, one that they'd turned into a sparring room, an infirmary of sorts, five large bathrooms, and a few storage rooms, too. The room they'd first entered had been turned into a lounge, with large sofas and cushions for everyone and a big TV that they'd bought but didn't use much. Every wall, floor, and ceiling was made of smooth, hard rock, and Moira had assured them of the place's soundproofing.

Val was glad that she hadn't been the only one to stare, her friends walking along with similar expressions. Damian didn't seem half as interested.

She shook her head.

How could that place be so big? And how did no one ever notice?

Moira and Allen lived right above the shop. The apartment was big enough to suggest they had no problems with money, which had struck Val as odd when she first moved in. She thought they could renovate the shop, make it bigger, but it made a lot more sense to her now why they always smiled and claimed it was enough.

When she and Daphne moved in they had given her the biggest room in the house. Moira had taken down a wall and connected two originally to make a gym, but she changed her mind when she bought her first treadmill and decided working out wasn't her 'thing'.

They offered the room to them, but they decided to stay with everyone else. It would help them adjust, and it would be 'safer'.

So there she was, in a room with five more beds other than her own, drifting into a very exhausted sleep...

*****

She was in that living room again. The same figures approached; that same man. But something was different; they were no longer a blur. This time she could see them clearly.

Dark hair fell over glowing eyes, and sharp claws were already out when the woman took her in her arms. She was warm, and an urge to bury her head in her shoulder came over her, to breathe in her scent, but her eyes were glued to the men.