CHAPTER SEVEN

Val bit her lip to keep from crying out and moved slightly, to prevent the wood from slicing any more muscle. The tall wolf lowered his head and growled; a warning.

She tried to memorize his scent but she could barely smell it over the mud. A vicious growl ripped through the trees and the wolf's ears perked up. He pulled back his lips, showing his teeth toward the source, and ran in the opposite direction, taking a last look at Val as Zack's scent became stronger.

He stopped a few feet away, eyes frantically searching for the brown wolf while Damian followed close behind.

"I thought I told you to stay back," he snarled. Damian brushed it off, taking long strides and kneeling next to her, completely unbothered. Zack huffed and followed suit, mumbling something about teenagers under his breath.

"Are you okay?" Damian asked gently. His labored breathing wasn't settling, and his eyes were glued to the blood almost painfully.

"Do I look okay?" she snapped, "I have a freaking chopstick stuck in my leg!"

She loosened a deep breath. "I'm sorry."

"Take her at docs', I'll meet you there," Zack ordered and Damian nodded.

"This is going to hurt." He smashed the end that connected to the tree and pulled out the one from her leg, flinching at her strangled cry. "We need to start the healing process," he added apologetically and Val nodded, wrapping her hands around his neck as he picked her up and zipped her away.

*****

"It will take a few days to heal." Derek — the pack doctor — said, while bandaging up her leg.

He looked too young to be a doctor, she noted, and took a whiff. He didn't smell like a wolf.

"Take it easy for the next couple of days. You'll probably be ready to stand on it correctly on Monday." He turned to Zack. "Someone should stay with her just in case, we don't know how the spell affected her." Val gave him a sideways glance. Did everyone know about that?

"Daphne's home, right?" Zack asked, rubbing tiredly at his eyes.

"She had to leave town to take care of a few documents at her old hospital for the transfer, but she'll be back in a couple of days. I'll be okay on my own, Zack, don't worry."

Ignoring her, he turned to Damian. "No," Damian growled, "if you want to babysit, fine, but don't you pin this on me!"

"Zack, I can—" He raised a finger.

"Don't test me, Damian." He groaned and fell back on his chair, tugging at his hair in agitation. Val wisely kept her mouth shut.

"You'll need these. Lay off that leg for now." Derek passed her the clutches, not even batting an eye at the heated conversation. Something told her it wasn't that uncommon between them. "Come back on Monday to check on it."

Damian sighed and got up. "Well come on then." He opened the door for her.

"Such a gentleman." He rolled his eyes.

*****

"Put me down damn it!" Val punched his back while Damian carried her on his shoulder.

Like a freaking sack of potatoes!

"Do you ever stop talking?" He snarled in annoyance, a hand rubbing at a spot behind his back. She hoped it would bruise.

"Do you ever stop being so annoying?" She glared at his back. He had somehow been able to balance her in a way to keep her leg from hurting and holding the clutches at his side at the same time. The guy annoyed the zits out of her but she had to admit, he had some skills. Or experience. She didn't know which bothered her the most.