034

december 25th, 2019
10:47 am

THE WHITE LIGHTS ON THE CHRISTMAS TREE TWINKLED IN THE CORNER OF THE LIVING ROOM

The fireplace created an unmatchable warmth that every person currently in the Green household could appreciate.

Noelani was sitting against the foot of the couch with Jurnee laying her head against Noelani's shoulder.

She was quietly reading a picture book version of Twas The Night Before Christmas to Jurnee while the younger girl absentmindedly sucked on a candy cane.

Jalen was sitting on the couch behind them, listening while scrolling through Twitter on his phone.

Bree and Marcus were in the kitchen, conversing about something serious, grave looks etched on both of their faces.

Jalen, Jurnee and Noelani were waiting for Jalen's parents to come back into the room so they could start opening the presents that were waiting for them under the eight foot evergreen pine tree.

"So," Noelani snapped the book closed, "What did you think?"

Jurnee let out an exaggerated yawn, patting her mouth a couple of times, "Ehh. I thought it would be better."

Jalen let out a snicker and put his phone down, "I told you it was gonna be boring."

Noelani playfully slapped his knee, "It's a good story."

"No, it's not," Jurnee rose to her feet, "Mom, can I have hot chocolate?"

Then the girl darted into the kitchen.

"I can't wait for you to see what I got you." Jalen gave her a smug expression.

"I thought I said not to get me anything!" Noelani groaned.

"I know. I heard you." Jalen shot his girlfriend a cocky grin.

Noelani rolled her eyes as she lifted herself onto the couch next to Jalen, "You're irritating."

"You talked to your mom today?" Jalen asked.

"Yeah, she sent me a picture of everyone gathered around the tree. They're probably having the surfing contest right now." Noelani said in a wistful tone.

"All right everyone! Time to open the gifts!" Marcus said, strolling into the living room, Bree and Jurnee by his side.

Jurnee jumped up and down excitedly, "Finally!"