Chapter 13 - A Queen's Request

The Weaving Ceremony ended... quite unceremoniously.

When the final tableau was finished - without interference or drama this time - it was stowed away, and there was some polite applause. The spectators quickly dispersed, and Master Whit and her disciples took the tableaus away to prepare them for their round to be admired and critiqued all through the kingdoms of Nihon.

Sofia didn't have any direct comparison to how this usually took place, but from the atmosphere all around, she figured that it had been supposed to go very differently. And neither the people responsible for the event nor the guests appeared to have expected things to be any other way this time around.

Which struck Sofia as, honestly, naive. Could they not tell there was unrest in the air? Wasn't the Master's revolt common knowledge? And could it even still be called a revolt if they had already been granted participation at the games? It felt to Sofia as if all these powerful people were trying to act as if things were the way they used to be, in the hope that their pretense would become reality.

Maybe that was what happened when one grew up and lived in Nihon, she thought, or maybe it was just human nature to stubbornly try to wish away undesired circumstances, and then grumble about it if that didn't do the trick.

Queen Adehe, in any case, was in a very bad mood. She was still unaware that her own Master, Master Whit, was behind the disastrous ceremony, but Sofia figured that, even if she were to suspect it, her preference would be to simply ignore it.

"Come and see me after," she had said to them in such a haughty and annoyed tone that neither of them had dared to ask, after what? Not even Orì.

Thankfully, at the appropriate moment, Rostopan-Ur showed up at their door. His expression intrigued Sofia. He still obviously didn't like to interact with them, as he felt they were beneath him, yet Orì, strangely, above him. And he had adopted the same solemn and melancholic gaze as the other high officials of the court. Beneath that though, far beneath, there was unmistakable glee.

It confused Sofia, and she thought that maybe she was mistaken in her impression.

Then Ami said in a low voice,

"Well, somebody's happy."

That sealed it. Sofia and Orì eyed Rostopan-Ur more closely. He was walking at their side, neither daring to walk ahead nor wanting to walk behind. He looked lost in thought.

"Does he know?" Orì whispered.

Ami shook his head.

"He knows nothing."

That was true, Sofia realized. He was simply and pettily enjoying the failure of his superiors.

They giggled, tearing Rostopan-Ur out of his daydream.

"Show more decorum," he snapped, looking at Sofia and Ami as he said that as if he would never scold Orì. At the very last instant, before looking away again, his eyes flickered to her, quickly enough to have deniability. That seemed to give him some satisfaction, having included Orì after all.

They all almost burst into laughter, but controlled themselves.

"Rostopan-Ur," Orì said in an utmost serious voice. "May I ask you a question?"

"Certainly," Rostopan-Ur granted with dignity.

"This castle is such an ancient structure. Is it not?"

"It is. It was built more than a thousand years ago."

Orì nodded slowly.

"It must fill you with reverence to be here in this ancient world full of traditions. Coming from a young family such as yours."