Chapter 21 - The Storytelling Competition

"You shouldn't have answered for me," Orì said when they were alone. "This means that I have to represent the family. And I can't stand them right now!"

"But you're good at telling stories," Sofia said. "And Ami can help you practice filling in the details."

Orì looked conflicted. There was a part of her that wanted to step to the edge of the stage and perform to the admiration and applause of the masses. And then there was another that wanted to stomp its feet and never again partake in anything, least of all if her mother was involved.

"I don't even know which story to tell," she muttered.

"I do," Sofia said. "It's a story my Uncle Sermon told me."

Orì looked tempted but not yet ready to give in. "The storytellers of Epoch are very famous. I don't want to lose against them."

"You won't. It's a really good story." Sofia wasn't completely certain if that would be enough. There was probably more to the telling of a story than just the story itself. And after all, she had no idea about these contests. But she wanted the story to be told. And she wanted Orì to be the one telling it. Also, she figured that the winner would just have to be Mother's daughter. The savior's daughter.

Orì was still sceptical. "If it's such a good story, how come you haven't told it to me yet?"

"I was saving it. For a special time."

"Is it a true story?" Ami asked. He was becoming excited.

Sofia shrugged. "I don't know. I think my uncle used to - uhm - embellish his stories quite a bit. And the more I doubted them, the more he would insist that they were true."

Orì's eyes were glimmering now. She exchanged a look with Ami.

"Alright. Let's hear it."

So, Sofia told them the story almost as her uncle had told it to her. A few details, she wasn't sure of anymore, and a few others, she fitted to the occasion. Stories were wonderful, mystical, beautiful. But they could also be useful.

While she was talking, she was overcome with a yearning for her home. It hit her with an unexpected force, like a missing limb, like phantom pain that became only more real because there was nothing to soothe it with. A few times, she had to pause and swallow down a rising choking feeling. Ami and Orì noticed it, but they didn't say anything.

It was late when Sofia was finished. All three of them were deep in thought, their own individual thoughts and a kind of collective thought.

"Will you tell the story?" Sofia asked Orì.

Orì nodded. She couldn't picture not doing it. It wasn't a story that was supposed to remain unheard.

*

The next day, Sofia and Orì woke to see Ami sitting at the window, staring outside.

"Did you miss the sunlight that badly?" Sofia asked.

He shook his head. "I'm looking for the Bayla. Do you think - do you think it's still out there?"

"Of course!" Orì said. "It's waiting for us."

"Should we try and find it?" Ami asked.

"Let's wait. I think it's better to wait a bit longer," Sofia said.

Ami agreed. He had been thinking the same thing, but it hurt him to be separated from the Bayla.

"I just hope it didn't get hurt. During the battle."