Permission

Clancy POV

I check the time once again. 8:15, still plenty of time. I still don't know why I'm so scared. Because Hitch might reject you. Shut up self, I'm scared enough as it is. I don't need you making things worse.

I already asked Mr. Redfort for permission, and he immediately granted it, saying that I was a gentleman and perfect for Ruby. Hitch... well who knows what he thinks, and I'm not going to marry Ruby without both of their permission.

I pull open the door to the little diner that Hitch is obsessed with. I immediately spot him in a boot, and stroll over, heart pounding with every step.

"Any reason why you asked me to be here tonight instead of your girlfriend Clancy?" He asks, with a tone that I can't quite place.

"I'm seeing the late show with Ruby tonight, don't worry. Actually, there was something that I wanted to ask you." I hesitate, quickly gathering my courage.

"Do I have your permission to marry Ruby? You're like a father to her, more than her own father, and I want to make sure that I have your permission before I even ask her to marry me. I know that this seems weird, but I also asked Bradley before he died because it seemed like they really clicked, I asked her father, and I've looked into the Spectrum policy for married couples working for them. I know that LB disapproves of it-" before I can finish giving the rest of my reheated speech in record breaking time, Hitch cuts me off.

"Of course you can marry Ruby. I do have conditions though, such as you can't have a kid until you are married for at least a year. I need some time to recover before having to take care of two Ruby's. Love and cherish her too, she's a good kid, though I guess you already know that. Just take care of her, no matter what." He says warmly smiling. I breathe a sigh of relief before he smiles too.

Everything is as it should be, all that needs to happen is for Ruby to marry me.

Hitch POV

When Clancy asks me to meet him at my favorite diner, I know exactly what's about to happen, and think that it's sweet that he's doing it. Bradley told me that Clancy asked him for permission, and I overheard him asking Brant, so I assumed that I would be next.

What I didn't expect was the speech, or how nervous he would be. I expected him to be slightly nervous, but he had everyone else's permission, instead he was acting like he only needed mine, and that I was Ruby's father, in charge of his fate. It was so sad, that all ideas of playing with him left my head, mostly. He was marrying Ruby after all, I had to have some fun with him.

"Of course you can marry Ruby. I do have conditions though, such as you can't have a kid until you are married for at least a year. I need some time to recover before having to take care of two Ruby's. Love and cherish her too, she's a good kid, though I guess you already know that. Just take care of her, no matter what." I say, slightly smiling when I talk about the child. I can already tell any child that they're going to have will be a handful.

Hitch didn't know just how right he was. When he is quite older, and having this very same conversation with another young gentleman, he can't help but think back on everything that that child put him through. More than her mother, or grandmother and grandfather, if that was even possible. The paranoia binges that would have even made LB's hairs stand at the top of her neck, and laughing at his reaction. Constantly trying, and sometimes succeeding in proving herself smarter, and don't even get him started in the pranks and dangerous stunts she pulled. She gave him more gray hairs than her mother, even though she never even got a death wish. And that sarcastic behavior that got her detention, then blackmailing him to make sure her parents don't know. Yet, somehow, he wouldn't have traded a moment with her for anything else in the world, because she truly was her mother's daughter.