First Date

As Ruby walks into the Double Dinner, Clancy's heart can't help but leap. He realized he was in love with her, that one day 6 years ago when she nearly died. Now, he had finally gotten the courage to ask her, her father, and Hitch if he could date her. They all agreed, though Hitch was fairly disgruntled, and clearly stated all the rules of dating her. Now, they were on their first date, an afterwork date, at one of the most casual restaurants, ever.

"How you doin' Clance?" Ruby asks, as she slides herself into their usual booth with a smile on her face. A rare sight these days, especially with everything that has been going on.

"Not bad Rube, not bad. Today was fairly easy, with just coding with Blacker, though I guess you already know that. Froghorn didn't even make any crude remarks on how I shouldn't be here, how young I was, or how much smarter he was than me." Clancy replies, with a smile tweaking his face, his hands moving all over while he was talking, and a slightly proudful hint in his voice as he describes how Froghorn was actually nice today.

"Sounds like you had it much better than me. I had to train those stupid recruits. Did you know that even you knew more on survival at 13 than what they do now? It's so frustrating, how know-nothing they are, and how they think that they can boss me around since they're older. I'm sorry, but who is the agent who is compared to Bradley Baker, who is the agent who LB is training to take over after she dies. I can tell you right now, it's not you, it's that too-young-to-be-here little girl, who is in charge of your training. I think you should shut up right now." Ruby rants out, not even caring that Clancy didn't ask how her day went.

As she started describing how frustrating the recruits were, Clancy couldn't help but notice how her different shades of green eyes grow darker, nearly the same shade. Her hair blew into her face, and she even pinched the bridge of her nose, a tell tale sign that she is about to start bad mouthing someone.

"Sounds interesting," Clancy chuckles.

Before Ruby can respond, Maria comes over. "Now what can I get Twinford's newest cute couple to eat and drink?"

"I'll have a vanilla shake, with a waffle." Ruby responds, ordering her usual, especially when she's had a stressful day, in her usual bored tone, and not even bothering to look at the menu.

"I think I'll have two chocolate chip pancakes, and a chocolate milkshake too." Clancy orders, in a much politer tone than his girlfriend, with a bright smile on his face, though not looking at the menu either. To be fair, when you have come here every day before, and 90% of the days after school, for the last 9 years, you don't really need a menu.

"I'll be right on it, after I ask Ruby one quick question." Maria says, with a mischievous smile on her face. "Why in the world are you not wearing a dress? You want to keep him liking you. Wear a dress now and then. Especially on your first date, and with your body? I would be wearing a dress all the time if I looked like you. Instead, you wear these insulting t-shirts, and bootcut blue jeans." Maria asks, not in a condescending tone, but more of a why-are-you-doing-this tone.

"Well, you see Maria, I don't care about fashion. If Clancy is going to like me, he's going to like me for who I am, because I'm not changing a thing. These t-shirts keep weak people from approaching me, and I can't be bothered to take the time to put on a dress every single day. I'm low maintenance, and he's going to have to like me like that, or this relationship won't work." Ruby responds, with a small smile lighting her face, as if she likes explaining to someone why she is the way she is, when in truth she hates it.

"That makes sense, I'll see y'all later," Maria calls over her shoulder, as she turns away to go to the kitchen.

"Well, that was interesting," Clancy remarks after Maria left.

"You can say that again," Ruby responds, with a slightly flirtatious tone, and a bright smile on her face. 

After their food was brought out, they eat with a slightly better dinner conversation. 

After all of this was done, Clancy decided to walk Ruby home, though they got home much later than expected because of one small distraction, and one must be quite distracted to leave the Diner at 8 and not get home to 8:30, though I think we should leave this story alone, at least for now. On a side note, Ruby did go shopping for a new type of lipstick the next day, one that didn't smudge quite so easily, and was recommended by LB, through Hitch. Who would have known that he hated seeing smudged lipstick?!