Death

A plane appears on my screen, and not just any plane; Bradley's plane.

I immediately know that it's him, even if it doesn't say so. Somehow, I know that he's in there, and that he won't be coming back to me like he said he would. The color drains from my face, as the horrific, deathening countdown starts. A countdown making me do something terrible.

Which do I choose? Do I kill my most trusted ally, my best agent and friend, my fiance, or do I kill the people who trust me? One life over a thousand?

I slowly, hesitantly, click on the screen, choosing to kill him. To kill the love of my life, to save the lives of over a thousand. It's the logical decision, but it feels so wrong. Logic isn't supposed to feel wrong.

This should be the end now. I should see his plane being shot down, him dying.

Of course, the person who's doing this can't have pity on me. They must force me to do the impossible. Talking to him. Telling him that he will be killed, and that I'm the one who will do it.

As my face appears on his screen from the plane, his confusion shows.

¨LB?¨ He says, in the voice that he would use when I snuck out to go on missions that I was specifically told not to go on, or go anywhere near.

I take a deep breath, trying to gather courage. I can't! I can't do this! I can't tell him that I had to kill him. I can't make him go through that, his last thoughts being about me, how he wanted to take care of me! I just can't.

¨Nothing Bradley. Nothing. I just wanted to say, that I'll love you until the end of the earth, 'til death. But unfortunately, not to the point where I would kill multiple people for you. I just can't. I love you Brad, till the end of this life, and into the other,¨ My gravelly voice travels through the communications, to him, and it's as if time slows.

Hopefully, he will get this! He will get what I had to this.

Of course, that would be too much to hope for.

¨Sure LB. Just make sure you don't kill too many criminals to keep me safe. I don't want all those people's death on my hands, just because I have an overprotective fiancee, who just happens to be the leader of a secret organization,¨ He teases lightly, completely not getting what I'm telling him. 

Not getting that he's going to die. That we will never marry, never have a child, never go on a mission together, teach recruits what to do, get on to each other for stealing gadgets, racing to break codes, all those fun things we do together. We will never do that again.

I start sobbing, leaving Bradley in the dark, not understanding why, considering that he's coming home from a mission, supposedly all safe and sound, alive, and it's not like he hasn't been gone or on more dangerous missions.

Then, I watch as the plane's altitude starts dropping, and I see him mouth those last words, ¨I love you LB. Forever and always.¨ My heart completely shatters.