Asthma Part 1

It was the first track meet of the year in Everly. Ruby was buzzing with excitement so much that Del teased her about trading places with Clancy.

Though you can't blame her; she loved running, and everything about it. The way she moved while doing it, judging her speed, crushing the competition, yeah, all of it was fun.

Sure, it was nice to compete in the field events, as she had done the previous year. She loved doing the High Jump and Pole Vault, feeling herself move through the air, and souring as high as she could; and she was good at both of them. The parkour lessons with Hitch definentantly paid off for both of those.

But, these things couldn't compete with running. She doesn't know why she loves it, she just did.

What she didn't love however was how her family didn't take any interest in this, nor did they realize how important it was in her life. They would never come to any of the meets, even the ones her school hosted. Even when she phoned them and told them she would be running in twenty minutes, and both of her parents were at home doing nothing, and they wouldn't show.

It made her extremely sad on the inside. Her parents didn't care enough about her extericicular activities to attend them. They wouldn't pick her up from her practices after school, she would either walk home or go straight to Spectrum.

Even Hitch didn't really care. Sure, he'd ask her how she did, and everything, but he didn't really pay attention, nor did he like it when he started talking about it and how to improve her times. Mainly all that he cares about is that it's keeping her active and out of trouble.

So, all last year, even though after the first one she should have known one, the home one when her parents didn't show up, she looked for them. For Hitch, and, as she got more and more desperate, LB, Blacker, and, even Froghorn. Huge surprise that none of them showed.

Why can't they see how important this is to me? Why can't they love my sports activities and be just as happy about me with them as they are for my brain? Ruby thinks sulkingly, before shaking her head. She should be happy that her parents care about her, she just wishes that they would care in what she sees as one of the most important events in her life.

"Hey, Ruby, you're not thinking about last year right?" Clancy asks as he comes right next to her, jotting her out of her thoughts.

"Of course not. I know better to dwell on the past. Besides, this year will be a lot better with the coach having me run the mile for long distance, and the 100 meter dash, and I don't have to do any of the field events. This year is the golden year, and I might win District, or even State as an eighth grader. Imagine that!" Ruby says, slightly forcing excitement, though the ambitious thought did get her excited. If she didn't think that her parents or Hitch wouldn't be there to share it with her, she would have stayed that way.

The night progresses slowly, and then too fast, as they do at all track meets. The anticipation of being able to run, and then the nervousness that you're actually going to have to run consumes you, and then you hurry to do your stretches so that you can actually run.

Ruby runs her sprint splendidly. She leaves it all out, and gets first place, much to her joy. However, she brushes off the tightness in her throat as being more out of breath than normal since it's the first track meet of the year and she got first for the first time. If she hadn't, maybe her night would have been a lot better.

She drinks water, has a light snack of a slice and cheese and some peanuts, and gets ready for her much longer, and, in her opinion, more exciting race, the mile.

It's the most daunting race, at least until you can get into middle school and have to do the two miles. Four laps around the track.

It seems so simple, when you think about it. But, when you hear everyone complaining about running a lap, or two, and having a lot of pain, having to run two more seems a lot more intimidating.