Melly x reader || normal

As a veteran survivor, you've been one of the ones to introduce the newbies to the manor. Usually it was you that had the most interaction with everyone, and it was you that everyone relied on. Most days, you didn't mind that you would be called on for anyone's needs, but some days you had had enough. Today was one of those days. You returned from your afternoon match to behold on what you could only assume was a new survivor. Constant chatter and the large crowd was not something you were looking forward to, but here you were, in the midst of it all.

"Oh! (y/n)! You're here!" Emily pulled you forward by the shoulders, placing you in front of the new survivor. "Can you please show Miss Melly around?" She asked as she retreated to the kitchen, presumably to start lunch. You began by leading her upstairs, to where her room would be, and you made small conversation.

"I'm (y/n)! If you ever need anything, I'd be the person to talk to!" You slightly boasted proudly. "Emily and Emma are also great to talk to! Oh, I guess I should tell you about the 'game' that was mentioned in the letter." You were going to continue, but she took your pause as an opportunity to speak up.

"The others already told me, it's alright." She plained, though still sounding thankful. You had a hard time reading her voice when you couldn't see her face, but you smiled brightly anyways.

"Great!" You brought your hands together with a short clap. "Then I'll leave you be, unless you need me for anything! Lunch should be ready soon!" She politely nodded and closed the door to her room. You were conflicted. You liked that she was self-sufficient and didn't constantly need your help, but you wanted to help her. You didn't want to be overbearing, but you also didn't want to just leave her alone. Eventually, you decided on the best thing to let her know that you were open to her, a welcome gift. You smiled to yourself as you walked back down to the kitchen to help Emily finish up with lunch, thinking of what you could do for the newest survivor. You left the seat next to you open for her to sit in. As you did this, you wondered why you were acting so strange about the new survivor. Normally, you would be the last to sit at the table, and the first to get up, but she made you want to stay and converse. Chalking it up to excitement, you continued to sit and wait. When she arrived, you motioned for her to sit next to you. There was no way for you to tell of the smile she hid behind her mask. Throughout the meal, you had a nice, in-depth conversation about her and her interests, occasionally, she asked about yours as well, and you learned that she was a biologist, and she had a passion for studying winged insects. That gave you the perfect idea for a gift. You finished up your conversation as lunch finished and you got up to start cleaning up, but she kept you for one last question.

"Could I help you clean?"

"You really don't have to." You suddenly got nervous, hoping you didn't make her feel like she had to help, but when you saw her shoulders slump forward just a tad, you corrected yourself with haste, "But if you want to, I'd be more than happy to have your help!" She nodded and followed you, both of your arms were full with plates and cutlery. As you worked together in silence, you realized that this was the quickest you had ever gotten your work done.

"So does anyone else ever help you out?" Her voice drew a happy sigh from your lips. You answered after a moment of hesitation.

"Sometimes, yes, but I don't mind doing it alone." After switching sides of the kitchen to put things away, you continued. "It isn't that much work though, we are all good about cleaning up after ourselves." You chuckled as you relived a memory of one of the many messes made in the kitchen.

"What are you laughing about?" Melly asked with a slight chuckle. Your eyes brightened and you regaled her with a tale of a mischievous mercenary and a cold-hearted lawyer that made a battlefield of the kitchen. By the end of the story, and after you both had finished your work, she was laughing so hard it sounded like she was crying. Of course, you were laughing just as hard. Hearing her laugh struck something inside of you, a feeling you've never felt before. You wanted to make her laugh more. That was a weird thought, you thought to yourself. The vocal glee filling the room was interrupted by the gardener, cheerfully reminding the entomologist of her upcoming match. Releasing the last bit of laughter as a sigh, she straightened herself and led you out of the room. You waved her a small good-bye as she went into the match room and you began to work on your project. It took much longer than you expected, then again, so did her match, but by the end of your hard work, you had produced a dragonfly brooch. Happy with your work, you set off to her room. You were going to inconspicuously place the brooch as well as an unsigned note on her bed, but fate had other plans. She walked in as you were placing the note down.

"What're you doing?" Placing emphasis on the word 'you,' to keep a light-hearted tone. You jumped, whipping your head around, but before you could answer, she picked up your gift. "Did you make this?" You nodded sheepishly, noticing how close she was to you. With the lack of distance between you, you also noticed that she had removed her mask. Staring into her deep eyes, you fell for her. You finally admitted to yourself that you were making a big deal of her because you liked her. She put the dragonfly brooch on her coat and smiled at you. You fell in love with that smile.

"Thank you." With a curt nod, you were out of her room. She was behind the door, away from your sight, pink-faced and grinning. As you thought back to her expression, your smile widened. You went to bed thinking of these new feelings, and how odd it was to feel things for someone you had just met. Little did you know, Melly was thinking the same thing as she drifted off to sleep, happy to have found a place where she belonged and someone she could rely on.