Getting To Know Your Friends

Start from the beginning

"I think Disi wants us to go," Janus said to the others, sending Disi a look. The dragon nodded, pleased, and Janus grinned down at him. 

Remy whistled, lowering his dark sunglasses to give Disi a scrutinizing look. His eyes were honey-gold and dark-rimmed, glinting like sunlight through a bottle of dark whiskey. "You can understand him?" he asked, looking back up at Janus. 

The prince shook his head, a bit crestfallen. "I've tried, but I don't know much of it-- just a few simple words here and there, you know." He shrugged. "Well, where's the cart?" 

Remy pointed to the line of trees, adjusting his glasses to cover his dark eyes again. "Somewhere in that direction." He looked back at Remus, who was carving something into a big tree. "Hey hey hey, what are you doing?" 

Remus glanced over, blinking innocently. "Carving a note into the tree," he answered easily, then turned back to his carving. 

Putting his hands on his hips and pushing his glasses further up his nose, Remy sighed in exasperation. He looked up at Janus, raising his eyebrows, and motioned to the milkman. "You handle him, I can't anymore." 

Janus looked over at Remus, tilting his head curiously. "What are you carving into the tree?" he asked, leaning down to look over Remus's shoulder. 

Remus shrugged. "Just a note for generations above!" he declared, grinning over at Janus. The prince giggled and watched as Remus repeatedly stabbed the knife deep into the bark of the tree, thunk-thunk-thunk until there were multiple jagged lines in the tree's trunk. 

Janus blinked at the strange action. "Come on, we have to go," he tried, grabbing Remus's hands and pulling him away from the tree trunk. Disi purred in agreement, flapping his wings up and back. 

They traversed back into the woods, leaving behind no evidence of their presence except for their footprints (and the weird carvings that Remus put into the tree. 

Janus traced his fingers on the intricate woodwork of the bark that covered a large redwork tree, letting his head drop back so he could see just how high the red-brown bark spiraled into the pale blue sky above. It seemed as tall as a mountain, but really, Janus figured, it was only around as tall as the tower he had been stuck in. Probably. 

Remy, it seemed, loved nature. He kept pointing different plants out and marveling at how different nature worked in "their" world. Janus wasn't sure if he had been telling the truth-- if he really was from a different world. By the looks of him, though... 

Janus looked Remy up and down again. He wore a black, leather-like jacket and dark glasses over his amber-gold eyes. The jacket material matched the black wrist cuff he wore on his right wrist, metal spikes shining a light grey in the dappled sunshine. He also had on dark grey boots with white laces and pale tan soles, cocoa-brown denim pants with rips and tears near the knees, and a white shirt striped with black. 

He sure wasn't dressed like anyone Janus knew. 

Remy caught Janus staring and sent him a curious, but amused, smirk. "You all right there, Janus?" he purred, lowering his sunglasses again to shoot the prince a smug grin. 

Janus blinked a few times, opening and closing his mouth before finally settling on what he said. "Yes, I'm alright. Just wondering if you were telling the truth, you know, about being from a different..." he faded off, motioning to Remy vaguely with one hand. Disi snorted out a laugh and nosed Janus's chin, making a shiver go down his spine at the cold touch. 

"Do you not believe me?" Remy teased, tearing his gaze away from Janus and bending down to investigate a red sage flower. "I swear, ya'll have so many different kinds of flowers, it's fuckin insane."