I Make An Indecent Proposal

Author's note: In this chapter, Legolas goes to one of Galadriel's gardens to meet Miredhel. This garden, however, does not contain Galadriel's mirror. That particular garden was on the southern side of the hill.

A quiet ring of mallorn trees held the promise of Galadriel's garden

A quiet ring of mallorn trees held the promise of Galadriel's garden. For countless generations of men, this garden had kept faith with the Golden Wood while the saplings grew solid and reached towards the firmament. An arch of latticework woven of many vines chased the edges of the trees, promising solitude. Many a skilled hand had labored there, nurturing the green and living. Many a love's promise had been murmured on the marvelous benches of carved white stone gleamed among beds of ivy and fragrant blossoms. The garden bathed in light streaming through the branches of the trees during the day, and in the evening the stars hung as jeweled beacons, burning above the sweeping forest.

The garden was beautiful. I had been there before with Gimli. Dwarves care little for petals and leaves, preferring cold stone and metal, and I had little time to explore the garden's subtleties. Once again, I found I could not enjoy the garden at my leisure. I needed to sort things out with my friend's unhappy sister, who I apparently kept inadvertently offending despite my best efforts.

The garden was so quiet to my ears—for my years serving in my father's Forest Guard sharpened my hearing—I almost mistakenly thought the garden empty. I half-wished it was, but no. Lady Miredhel was there in the fading dim shaded under the sweeping mallorn branches. She reclined on one of the benches. I heard her breath catch in her throat as I entered the garden.

My sudden appearance vexed her if the quick flush to her cheeks was any indicator. I paused in the archway, unsure for a moment. She clearly did not like me from our first meeting. And what seemed a good idea a few minutes ago certainly seemed to have little chance for success now.

Finally she broke the calm. "My lord, what brings you here?"

Her eyes pained me. Accusatory and as dark as the leaves of Mirkwood they were. I met her gaze for a moment, silently apologetic until she looked away.

"Did my brother send you here?"

"No, I came on my own errand." I approached her. She straightened her posture and rested her slender hands in her lap, occasionally twisting a ring on her right hand.

"Do you come to tease me some more?" Miredhel asked evenly, her face expressionless. She twisted the ring again.

I now stood directly beside the bench. "May I?" I gestured toward the seat. She nodded and slid down to the opposite end.

She stared into the garden, probably wishing I would leave. I didn't blame her. I was thinking the same thing. Then she sighed and quietly told me, "I came here seeking solitude, my lord. I desire to be alone with my own thoughts."

I nodded. I did understand and told her so at once, adding, "I do not wish to intrude." Of all the things! She kindly gave me an opening to leave and save us both torment and probable embarrassment, and did I take her kindly offer? No. Because I never meant to hurt her feelings back at the archery range or tease her, for that matter. I could not let myself go in good conscience until I apologized. So rather than leaving, I placed my hands behind my head, letting my eyes scan the treetops. "I have something of great importance of which I must speak to you," I told her. "so I will just wait, if my lady does not mind, of course." I stood up and moved to a different bench.