Chapter Ten

“…Jasmine…” I heard an unfamiliar voice say.

I opened my eyes slightly but quickly squeezed them shut again as my eyes struggled to adjust to the brightness of the room. “Jasmine, can you hear me?” the same voice asked. I managed to open my eyes but I had to squint. Why were the lights so horribly bright?

My eyes landed on a nurse who was stood beside the bed I appeared to be laid in. “Jasmine, my name is Nurse Lopez. You’re in hospital as you’ve been in an accident,” she told me. I raised an eyebrow and managed to smirk. “Is your first name Jennifer?” I asked. The nurse smiled and rolled her eyes at my joke.

“How are you feeling?” the nurse questioned. “Achy,” I replied. “I can get you some more painkillers for that. You hit your head during the accident and sprained your wrist. But otherwise you have been quite lucky,” she explained pointing at the bandage around my right wrist before she looked over my notes, “Are you taking your medication regularly?”

I nodded. “Have I been given something while I was out? Because I feel a little out of it,” I told the nurse wondering why my mood was so different. “Yes. You had a dose of morphine shortly after you were brought in. That was a couple of hours ago,” she replied as she put my notes back into the slot at the end of the bed. “Oh, I almost forgot. There are a few people outside wanting to see you. Shall I let them in?” she asked and I nodded.

The nurse left the room and it was quiet for a moment before the door opened and three familiar faces appeared. Jake rushed towards me, enveloping me in a hug. “James called me as soon as the hospital rang him. I’m so glad you’re okay,” Jake told me, kissing my forehead. Casey was next to give me a hug and he rubbed my back soothingly before releasing me.

James stood at the end of the bed, his features full of concern. “How could you be so stupid, Jasmine?” he asked, angrily. I frowned and ran my uninjured hand through my messy hair. “James, I’m sorry,” I told him. He walked towards me, placing his hand on my cheek. “I was so worried about you, Jasmine. You could’ve died,” he whispered before kissing me. “I’m sorry about your car,” I told him but he shook his head and said, “It doesn’t matter. It can be fixed. Just don’t do anything like that again.”

I was discharged from the hospital a couple of hours later and given some painkillers. Casey dropped me and James off at our flat as he was the only one of us who had a functioning vehicle. “James, I need to see Anabelle,” I told him when we were inside the flat. “We’ll figure something out,” he replied and kissed my forehead.

“Jasmine,” I heard Barclay say before he enveloped me into a hug. “I’m so glad you’re okay,” he said, rubbing my back soothingly. He pulled away and smiled sympathetically. “I’ll order pizza. You grab some duvets and we can have a movie night,” Barclay told me and I nodded in agreement.

“Oh, Jaz, are you free tomorrow afternoon?” Barclay asked on his way into the kitchen. “Yeah, why?” I questioned. “Chris, Tom and Charlie are babysitting Anabelle at their flat. So we’re going round there,” he told me. My face lit up as I practically jumped into Barclay’s arms, luckily not hurting my sprained wrist. “Thank you so much,” I yelled excitedly.

I let go of Barclay, allowing him to go into the kitchen. “I’m going to see my little angel,” I told James with a huge grin on my face. He chuckled and hugged me. “Now go and get the duvets,” he said, smacking my bum when I turned around. I gave him a look of mock shock and he wiggled his eyebrows. I giggled and he stuck his tongue out at me. Damn. I’d really missed this guy.

When I’d retrieved the duvets I laid them out on the floor of the living room along with some cushions and pillows James had collected. Barclay sat down at one end of the pile of duvets and wiggled his eyebrows while patting the spot beside him. I laughed before sitting down next to him. James was next to sit down, putting his arm around me. “I love you,” he whispered making me smile. “I love you too,” I replied, kissing him. “Don’t leave me out,” Barclay piped up. I chuckled, throwing my arms around him and kissing his cheek. “I love you,” I sang and he flashed me a cheesy grin.

The three of us sat together and watched films and ate pizza for hours. I was the first to fall asleep. I can only assume that James and Barclay fell asleep shortly after because when I woke up, we were all still sat on the floor on the pile of duvets.