Sunday WhAt?!

"What?"
  It was the first Sunday of the new school year and Dennise was over at Matt's house while her parents hosted their weekly book club. Just like how they spent every Sunday of the school year.
"I said, I'm going to have my birthday party at my house this year."
Matt put down his pencil and shook his head with disbelief.
"Did I hear you right? You're going to have your birthday party at your own house?!"
Dennise nodded.
"And you're inviting other people besides me and your family? Other people our age?"
"That's the plan, man."
"Please no. I can't take another repeat of Dr. Seuss day. Also, why?"
"Okay, okay I won't rhyme. But what do you mean 'why'?"
"You know what I mean, Dennise! Last week you probably would have taken someone's head off for so much as looking at your door. Why the sudden change? Most people at school think you're hiding something. Like a vampire."
"A vampire?" Dennise asked, holding back a laugh.
"Yes. A vampire. It lives in your basement. Now will you please answer the question?"
"Fine, fine. Look, to put it simply, why not? I mean, people are gonna see it eventually.... So why not now? Might as well get it out of the way now and put those zombie rumors to rest."
Matt smiled. "Vampires. You have vampires in your basement." he said. She laughed a little. "Just checking!"
     And with that, they got to work on making Dennise's birthday party invitations. After all, her birthday was only 2 weeks away.

Word count: 261