Lunchtime Mysteries

It had been almost a week since Tyler-Arther's first day of school and he still had yet to meet or hear of anyone named Jennifer. Other than Silvia and Mia's cousin, that is. But the Cohen's cousin lives in another state. So Tyler-Arther doubts that that was who he overheard the parents compare him to.
     This was on his mind as the lunch bell rang that Friday. As he sat down to eat with Dennise and a few other people, he decided that just asking around would be much easier than trying to figure out who Jennifer is on his own. And if none of the people he asked knew who she was, then at least he'd have some help in figuring it out.
     A boy named John sat down at their table and asked if anyone knew where Matt was. Dennise replied, "He said he had to go to the nurses office for some reason. Why?" her mouth was half full of cold pizza mush when she answered him. John blushed a little "Oh, uh. No reason. Um. There's just this book that my mom wanted me to give him. That's all." He is whole entire face was tinted pink.
"Weird."
     After a few minutes of talking Tyler-Arther asked the group if they knew who Jennifer was. They all seemed to freeze. And I'm pretty sure Dennise almost spit out her orange juice.
"What? Who's Jennifer?"
But before anyone could answer Tyler-Arther's question, Matt came back. And he was wearing different pants.
     John handed Matt the book under the table so no one saw what book it was. And Dennise asked him if he was okay. "He looks fine. I wonder why he went to the nurse. And why is he wearing different pants from this morning?"
Tyler-Arther tried to ask about who Jennifer is again but he had missed his chance.
     After lunch, classes flew by and soon it was time for pickup again. As Tyler-Arther waited for his stepmom he watched one by one as his classmates and friends got picked up. He noticed a smug look on the face of John's mom looking at Matt getting picked up by his da- - Wait. His mom? That was weird. Normally Matt gets picked up by his father. "Huh. Maybe this is just a Friday thing."
     Then something else weird happened. Someone Tyler-Arther hadn't seen before picked up Dennise. He thought he had already seen what Dennise's dad looked like when he picked her up yesterday and on Wednesday. Before that, he saw her mom pick her up on Monday and Tuesday. But he had never seen this guy before. He didn't look anything like Dennise. Except for how he dressed. They seemed to have the same taste in clothes. "Hm. Maybe he's her stepdad or something."
Oh well. He'd find out eventually.

Word count: 481