ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ¹³

☆꧁___________________________꧂☆

The next few minutes were spent trying to understand nearly incoherent Greek screaming between Caius and Marcus, who sounded both terrified and upset. Cain, I had never heard that name before. Whoever he was, they hated him with a fiery passion that couldn't be put into words of any language.

"How could you bring up something like this?!" I understood Caius' broken cry. He sunk to the floor, in a heap of his own tears. I did what I could, bending over to see my mate on the ground. He was a mess, breaking down and hurting. "Please don't make me━"

"Il mio amore," Aro was sniffling himself, "Nobody is going to make you do anything, amore. You're safe. Nobody can get to you━"

"No!" I wrapped my arms around the king, who huddled himself on top of me. He cried into my chest and shoulder, staining my clothes with his venomous tears. I tried to calm him with a touch to the face, but it didn't work, with him almost crying harder after I gave him affection. "Not him! Anyone but him!"

This was not like the attack he had before. Panic, he was completely panicked.

Lowering my head, I placed a kiss to his forehead. Caius struggled a bit under my hold, but eased himself into stillness. His cries soon slowed as I peppered kisses to his head. Those once steady sobs turned to whimpers, still burning a hole in my heart, but not as horrifying as the ones before.

My hands lingered on his back, making sure that his head stayed in place.

"Sweetie," he looked up at me with teary eyes, holding back a sob, "Oh, sweetheart, it's okay. It's okay to cry, Caius. Let it all out."

A small scream left his lips as he burrowed his head into my shirt. "That's it. That's it, sweetie."

As much as it pained me to hear him so upset, I knew that he had to do this. It was either he gets all of his pent up emotions out right now in a safe environment or he ends up doing what he did and goes comatose. He needs somewhere that he can feel safe enough to cry. Everyone needs that. I would stay with him for however long he needs. Be it a day or a year, I would be right by his side, holding him as he cries. Nothing would make me leave his side.

"I'm scared," Caius whimpered into my chest, holding onto me for dear life.

"I know, sweetie. I'm right here. Nothing can hurt you with me here. Your mate has you," I soothed, running a finger down his arm.

"Please don't leave me," he pleaded.

"Not going anywhere, sweetheart. I promise I'll stay here," I promised, propping him upright. I gazed into his puffy eyes and saw something new. He looked so small, so meek and hopeless. This wasn't the face of a vampire king, of a man who the world feared the wrath of. He felt so blissfully human.