ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ⁹

☆꧁___________________________꧂☆

Not being able to handle myself in stressful situations had proven to be one of my worst qualities, but finding a way to fix that flaw had also proven to be just as difficult as the emotions that came with my stupid teenage angst. Why messing up in this way came to me so easily still baffled me, as I wasn't an unreasonable or rigid person in any sense. Still, I found myself snuggling against a pillow, crying my eyes out.

Things had been going so well for me here, but a sudden spur of pure and utter sadness had taken over my body once I came into contact with the bed. The soft pillows drew me in as I cried. My voice was silent as I sobbed.

I couldn't let my mates see me like this, I just couldn't do that to them. I had been working so hard here, to build a good life for myself and this little vampire family I had grown to love. Just stupid teenage emotions. God, get a hold of yourself before you make them think that you're a crybaby. I'm not a crybaby...

"Cara mia?" I wanted to bash my head in and run to my mate at the same time. Caius was standing at the door, watching me as I curled myself up on the bed.

"My darling mate, what's wrong?"

His questions remained unanswered, with me simply rubbing my head into the scented pillows that my mates had left for me to snuggle with while they went to trial. Lord, they were the best smelling things, their scent like a drug to my nose as I inhaled savory mint and flowers. According to them, I would also be able to leave a mark for them, but I did not know what I smelled like and could not tell the difference between our scents.

"Please," he pleaded with me, now standing next to the bed. I looked up at him with puffy eyes and watched as he moved me closer to the middle of our shared bed. I smiled sadly at him as he joined me in the blankets. "Are you okay, my darling Astraea?"

"I don't know," I sniffled into his chest, wanting him to wrap his arms around me. Feeling my body tense, my mate did what I needed him to do, pulling me into a comforting embrace. "Everything feels weird."

"That's the bond, mia cara. It will get easier, I promise. I should have known that your emotions would be out of touch for the first few months of our courtship. It was what happened with me as well with Aro and Marcus. Do not fret, cara, you are safe here in the castle," Caius rubbed his hands down my back, soothing me into his embrace. I buried my head into his shoulder, my tears still staining my rosy cheeks. "Do you wish to talk about it, amore, or do you wish to sleep?"

"Just don't go," I pleaded with him, not wanting him to leave the room without me. Frankly, I wanted to stay huddled here forever, even if that was not possible. "Don't leave me."

"Amore," his voice was low and sweet as he kissed my head, breathing out, "I would never leave you. Never. I'm yours, belissima."

"I missed you," I whined into his hard chest, "I missed you so much today. I hate it when you leave."