When The Villains Win | The Trinket Of Eva Sinclair

The following is the winning entry from our When the Villains Win contest. Congratulations to our winner!

The full list of winning entries can be found here.

*

PROMPT

"Sometimes the monsters are...you."

Your character is out and about, for what seems like a normal day, changes when you stumble on an old box that you just recognize to be your old toy as a kid, except it's glowing. What do you do?

*

The Trinket Of Eva Sinclair

by cutie_bloom

Another day, I thought to myself. Sulking in the sombre mood of life– In desolation and distress; In despair and teeming forlorn; In the loneliness and grief; but mostly, in a moment with myself. I sighed and sat on my bed. Plugged in my earphones and was ready to do what I do best when suddenly my room door burst open.

"Aunt May!" I exclaimed, plugging back out my earphones as in came the person herself, with a box held at her side and with the indifferent face of her's. Not caring about anything... particularly me.

Typical.

"I need to get those stuffs you promised to gave up today," she said as she rummages around, taking and dropping a couple of my belongings into the box.

"Ugh! My space is my personal space, for once can't you just- wait!" I exclaimed again. Quickly entangling my feet from the bed sheets and marching up to her.

"Ava, you agreed to donate some of these stuffs to charity. The daycare is also needy and you need to be supportive," she pointed at me.

"I agreed to donate my useless toys. Not my headset and my earbuds that my dad gave me," I stated, reaching for the buds but she moved it out of my reach. I gave her a look at that.

"You're 16 Ava. I think it's time you start losing some of these stuffs," she objected, giving me a hard look as she placed the buds in the box.

My tongue prodded in my mouth as I stared at her. My anger riled up but with knowing it wasn't the worth, I restrained myself and instead took the box from her hands. "I'll do it instead," I calmly told her and she nodded her head to go so before walking out of the room.

I let out an exasperated sigh and took back out my earbuds, placing them on my dresser before I went and started packing.

After a few minutes packing the box, I got up, realizing I needed another one after looking at all the toys that I needed to get rid of.

When I was a child, I had a lot of toys. Maybe because my father was a historian/archeologist who specializes in the remains and history of ancient artifacts. And at times, any useless artifact he found he would usually give to me. Well that's how everything was. The perfect little life. Until the loss of both my parents.

My mom, died before I turned three– I hardly have any memories of her; and my father, leaving his last gift to me– I still live in grief of him. With them both gone, I've been living with my aunt. She was kind enough to be my provider, the one who at times see to my needs but often times, I felt alone. Trapped even, in whatever I couldn't get out of.