Adventure in Action | Eva Action

Eva Action by PennedbyLiz

"Come out of there, Eva," came the quietly dangerous command from the Museum Director, Mrs. Indira Terun.

Eva's breath caught as her mind raced with possibilities on how to get out of the situation. Should she play dumb and say she got lost? An intern like her might be able to get away with that, after all. She just started working here a few, short days ago.

But, this was a golden opportunity. She did sacrifice her off hours to try and satiate her curiosity. Should she lay down her cards and ask outright? What that might entail for her life and safety would be something she'd have to think about more.

Squaring her shoulders, she stepped out from behind one of the huge crates where she was hiding. Incongruously, she was thankful that she changed into her all black outfit earlier. Her long black hair was down, anything that would make her blend more into the shadows. At least, Eva thought, her outfit looked good enough for going out with a bang.

"Good evening, Mrs. Terun," she greeted the Director in a cheerful tone. Her dark brown eyes did a quick scan and counted five more people in the room.

They were standing in a semicircle with the Director in the middle. Men and women in suits who interestingly enough, all seemed right at home among the crates of old items and artifacts in the room.

Eva and the Director stared at each other.

"Care to tell us why you are here, Eva? I'm sure your work was done hours ago." Mrs. Terun remarked.

At the Director's words, something clicked in Eva's mind and she suddenly thought of the hushed meetings this group had been holding after the Museum closed for the day. She also remembered the locked files she had secretly uncovered in the Museum's computers.

She wanted to make an excuse so she could make her exit, but what came out of her mouth was:

"I really want to help, Mrs. Terun. I believe I know what you may be looking for."

The atmosphere in the room changed and Eva suddenly felt herself being scrutinized by six pairs of eyes. Their gazes conveyed the unknown, of things she dare not think of or imagine.

Eva suddenly wanted to reach out and touch them. Like the ancient artifacts in the room, these people seemed unreal.

The Museum Director, who was obviously the de-facto leader of the group, gave a small flick of her hand that seemed to signal something to the rest. Eva felt a great wave of energy subsiding, as if tamped down by that one gesture.

"And, what might that be, Eva?' asked Mrs. Terun.

"The emblem," she declared. She looked around the room, daring them to deny it, which of course, they could not.

Surprisingly, the Director laughed.

"You are quick, I'll give you that. You've been here, what, a week? Good work," Mrs. Terun said with a grudgingly impressed note in her voice. She gave a quick glance at the group around her and after an imperceptible nod, she continued. "We could use the help, I guess. Although, of course, one needs to be very sure before committing to join us."

The Director stepped nearer, looking Eva in the eye.

Eva felt transfixed, rooted to the spot. Gazing back at the Director, she saw a glimmer of a world long forgotten. With a slight shiver, she realized that Mrs. Terun and the people with her, were born of a lifetime unknown to her.

Eva blinked, trying to cut the hold the Director placed her in. Where did they come from and why were they here? She must find out at all costs!

"Yes, I'm sure," she said with as much strength she could muster while holding the Director's eyes.

With a slight smile, the Director turned back and Eva felt her body sag a bit. She sensed power and energy from that lady that she had never faced before.

"We have time enough to get acquainted, Eva. For now, tell us what you know about the emblem." the Director commanded.

"When I was doing the clean up on the Museum's computer files, I came across an encrypted folder that led me to believe that someone was looking for a 16th century emblem. I did further research on it and found that the emblem is not just the prize but one that will lead the way to a greater find in history. What that is, I'm very much curious to know."

The Director glanced around the room before turning back to her.

"And, what led you here tonight, in this particular room?"

Eva smiled in response. "The emblem is here, in one of the crates that were delivered."

The Director inclined her head in approval. "Good so far. But, we seem to be at an impasse. We are working on a critical timeline. It is imperative that we find the emblem tonight. Are you able to help us with that?"

"Easily enough," Eva replied. "But, what's in it for me? I'm not partial to either money or power. What can you offer that will interest me?"

The Director considered for a moment. "You put all of this together and came here of your own free will and at your own risk. There's only one thing you could possibly want - "

"A ticket to unlocking more of this mystery that you got your first taste of." Mrs. Terun declared.

Eva nodded her head in acknowledgement. Then, taking out a small bow from her backpack, she pointed it at the light panels and made the shot!

The lights went off in the room except for the one crate that gave off an eerily green light in the shape of the lost emblem.

The group clapped respectfully and in the darkness, Eva heard the Director's voice:

"Welcome to the Society, Eva."