Author Spotlight

With over 679K reads, 'Dead If You Do' by KateNorth got featured on both @NA and mystery profiles and was hand-picked by the Wattpad team for the Editor's Choice 2020 list

With over 679K reads, 'Dead If You Do' by KateNorth got featured on both @NA and mystery profiles and was hand-picked by the Wattpad team for the Editor's Choice 2020 list. Her story also became a part of the Paid Stories Program, awarding her with the shiny Wattpad Star's badge as well!

Read on ahead of the interview we had with her to get to know more about her writing journey and be inspired! A review by us is also included in the end to give you a sneak-peek into the thrilling and mysterious adventure 'Dead If You Do' holds. This story is undoubtedly going to keep you on the edge of your seats!

Now, over to the interview!

Q: We will start with the question, which makes everybody curious! What inspired you to write Dead If You Do?

The initial threads of Dead If You Do's plot started entwining a few years back, but back then, it had a different name. It was around Halloween, and I was just finishing my first book, Pieces of You, which really only ended up being around 30K words - so not much of a first project compared to others! At the time, though, it was a massive accomplishment and I was on an adrenaline rush.

So as per usual for me, I got excited and started planning another story, with no branches to hold onto except for its name (Fallen Heights) and logline: When Woodcreek's senior class go into the halls of their high school for their annual Halloween sleepover bash, one-hundred and eighty students enter and one hundred and seventy-nine students leave. Haley Bell, the town's good-girl, must find out who murdered Daisy before eyes of suspicion turn to her and secrets of her past are irrevocably revealed.

If you know Dead If You Do's plotline, you can obviously draw a lot of parallels to this. But, of course, being a writer isn't that easy. Life gets in the way and, perhaps more so, writer's block. It knocks your creativity down so much that you can't believe you ever managed to even write a book in the first place. Which is exactly what happened to me. Trying not to dwell on this, I went off to Uni and decided to start focusing on my course - which was luckily creative writing!

So, while I wasn't focusing on writing this new book, I was writing short stories which really helped boost my writing skills to the level where, when I entered my third year, I was finally able to turn my mind back to writing books. It was at this point in my life, though, that I started questioning what I wanted to do with my writing and where I wanted it to go. Sure, I was taking a creative writing course, but I didn't know whether I wanted to traditionally publish or give Wattpad one more go. Luckily, I chose the latter.

I remember the night 'Dead If You Do' came to me so clearly. God, the story was just so easy and so perfect for me. I was talking to about what I wanted to do with my writing (she was actually the person who convinced me to write another book on Wattpad, so in a way, I totally believe that Dead If You Do and everything that came after just wouldn't have happened without her).