chapter 6 - a trip to the hospital

A few days later, Carly, Sam and Freddie were hanging out in the iCarly studio. They had just finished their webshow.

"Hey." Sam nudged Carly. "Do you guys still have soda?"

"From what I remembered, it's still there. But Spencer could've drank it."

"Alright." Sam got up from the beanbag she was sitting on. "You guys want anything?"

"Who are you and what have you done to Sam Puckett?" Carly laughed. Freddie laughed too and shook his head. "I'm good, Sam. Thanks."

Sam rolled her eyes. "Nothing for you too Carly Shay."

"Wha-" Carly tried to speak but Sam had already left the studio. She turned to Freddie.

"Did you guys talk?"

"No.." Freddie hung his head. "I didn't know how to start."

"What do you mean you don't know how to start?" Carly sneered.

"I just... didn't know how to say it." Freddie trembled.

"You could just ask, 'Sam, what are we?' It's not that hard."

"Carly, your best friend's heart is fragile, do you know that?"

"Right.." Carly sighed. "But still, you gotta ask her and you know... confirm your relationship."

"Okay I'll try to talk to her later. Shoosh, she's coming."

Sam walked in right after Freddie said that.

"Did you find your soda?"

"I did. It was diet. So I ordered pizza. Should be here in 10 minutes."

"I guess I have to get some cash. I'll be right back." Carly said, getting up from her beanbag.

Sam and Freddie are left alone in the studio, with Carly secretly hiding behind the wall. She already had cash in her pocket.

Sam leaned back at her beanbag and took out her phone. Freddie, wanting to talk to Sam, noticed Carly standing by the door.

"Do it." Carly mouthed her words at Freddie.

Freddie rolled his eyes and called for Sam. "Hey."

"Hmm?" Sam responded, still looking at her phone.

"Erm.. I gotta talk to you."

Sam looked up at him. "What?"

"Erm.."

"Just say it, Benson."

"Erm, okay. Well I-"

Freddie was cut off by the sound of his phone ringing. "Hang on a sec."

He picked up his phone, "Hello? Mom?"

Sam shrugged and looked down on her phone screen, but got a shock when Freddie suddenly exclaimed.

"She what?! Okay, okay. I'm on my way."

"What's wrong?" Sam asked as Carly hurried into the room.

"My mom, she fell down and broke her leg. She was admitted into the hospital!"

"Well, let's go see your mom now. Spencer is downstairs, we can ask him to drive us. Spencer!" Carly ran downstairs and called for her brother.

"I hope my mom's okay." Freddie sighed as he walked downstairs with Sam.

"I'm sure she is, nub. Your mom is a strong person." Sam comforted him.

"Yeah, you're right. Thanks Sam." He smiled at her. Sam couldn't help but blush a little.

---

"Freddie, which hospital is your mom at?" Spencer asked as the gang headed to the car Spencer had borrowed from Socko.

"Harborview Medical Center." Freddie said, with a little scared tone in his voice.

"Hey, I'm sure your mom is okay." Spencer assured Freddie as Sam placed a hand on his shoulder from the backseat.

---

The gang arrived at the hospital 30 mins later. Freddie rushed to the reception area as soon as they reached the front door.

"Hi. I'm looking for my mother, Marissa Benson." He said to the receptionist sitting by the desk.

"Hold on a second. Marissa Benson... ah okay, she's in room 312."

"Thank you!" Freddie rushed to the elevator nearby, with Sam following.

"Are you coming along, Spencer?" Carly asked her brother.

"Nah, you guys go head. I'll stay here and talk to the receptionist. Just give me call if you need anything." Spencer whispered to Carly.

"Alright." Carly headed upstairs to Mrs Benson's room.

---

"Hey." Carly said as she saw Sam standing outside the hospital room. "Freddie's inside?"

Sam nodded. "Where's Spencer?"

"Downstairs talking to the receptionist."

The girls sat down by the seats outside the rooms.

"Sitting here is boring. I'm gonna go find the cafeteria. See you later." Sam said and went to the elevator.

Carly sat there by herself, scrolling through Splashface. Around 15 minutes later, Freddie walked out of the room with his Aunt Jennifer.

"Don't worry so much, Fredward. The doctor said she will be fine. I'm gonna run downstairs to the cafeteria real quick." Aunt Jennifer patted Freddie on the head and left. Freddie sighed and saw Carly sitting by the seats and they gave each other a small smile.

"Hey." He sat down beside her.

"Hey. How's your mom?"

"Grumpy, but fine. The doctor said it wasn't very serious. She just needs to stay a few days more before she can be discharged. She's inside having a nap, we didn't want to disturb her."

Carly placed her hand on Freddie's. They looked at each other and gave reassuring smiles to each other.

"Thanks for being here, Carly. It really warms my heart that you're here with me."

"Hey, no problem. That's what friends are for." Carly smiled and gave Freddie a small kiss on the cheek. They gave each other smiles again, but Freddie's a little bigger.

Neither of them noticed that Sam saw the whole scene. She had been standing there watching them for a minute, her heart slowly breaking into pieces. She disappeared into the elevator and went back downstairs, where Spencer was still talking to the receptionist.

"Hey, Spencer." Sam nudged him. Spencer turned around and saw that Sam's eyes were red.

"Sam! Are you okay?" He asked concerned.

"I'm fine." She realized her eyes were getting swelled up. "I accidentally got pepper in my eye just now. I'm just telling you that I'm heading home first. I forgotten I had some stuff i have to do."

"Do you need a ride?"

"No need. I know the way. Just help me tell Freddie and Carly okay."

"Sure. Get home safe."

As Sam walked out of the hospital, tears started falling down her face. She found out she had been lying to herself.

She had always thought Freddie would love her, but she was wrong. Freddie Benson had loved Carly, and he still does to this day. He always had, and always will.

author note:

sorry for such a long chapter, hope you enjoyed it regardless <3