chapter 9 - he confesses

"I wanted to ask if you wanted to be my girlfriend."

The G word came out of his mouth. Sam couldn't help but freeze there.

"Sam?" He asked.

"Huh?" She shook her head.

"Are you willing to?"

"No. No." Sam responded, still in shock. "I'm, um, not willing to, why don't you ask Carly to be your girlfriend."

"Sam, I think you don't understand. I don't love Carly. I'm not in love with her."

"In love? Then.. you're in love with me?"

Freddie gave her a small smile and nodded. "I am."

"How? Why? You've been in love with Carly since you were a kid."

"I guess, the heart changes whenever it wants to. I don't see Carly that way anymore."

"Then now you suddenly see me that way?"

"Yeah."

"So, am I just a substitute to her?"

"What? No, I never said that."

"Well, you meant it." Sam got emotional all of a sudden. "You asked for my answer, Freddie, it's a no. I won't be the girlfriend of someone using me as a replacement." Sam quickly got up and left the Groovy Smoothies.

---

"And she got up and left." Freddie sighed and buried his face in his hands.

"She actually said that? It doesn't even sound like her." Carly spoke after listening to Freddie. "There has to be something we can do to let Sam see that she isn't a substitute of me."

"How? Sam's rather stubborn." Spencer cuts in.

"Would she listen to me if I talk to her?"

"No, you will only make things worse."

"Why would you say that? I'm Sam's best friend."

"Doesn't mean you won't make things worse, Carly. If you talk to her it might make her feel worse than she already feel." Freddie spoke.

Carly felt indignant. She knows Sam better than anyone. She knows she can talk to Sam and change her mind, but both Freddie and Spencer don't believe her.

---

Even after the conversation with Spencer and Freddie, Carly decides to give it a shot anyways. Sam is her best friend. She knows her.

"Sam?" Carly knocks on her door. She knows that Sam is home as she saw her shoes outside her house.

"Carly." Sam answered the door. "Why are you here?" She asked with an annoyed tone.

"To talk." Carly blurted out.

"What, you wanna talk about that kiss at the hospital?"

"Yea..." Carly felt embarrassed.

"There's nothing for you to say, Carly. You know, it's funny. You were the one who told me to ask him out, yet there you were kissing my boyfriend."

"Your boyfriend? Are you guys official?" Carly's eyes lit up.

"N-No. Did I say boyfriend? I meant boy-friend. As in, he's my friend and he's a boy."

"Sam, it's okay to be jealous or mad at us. I was wrong to kiss him. It was meant to be a friendly cheek kiss."

"Why would you suddenly kiss him?"

"He was feeling depressed about his mom, Sam. I thought it would give him comfort. The first thing I thought of was a kiss."

"Wow. Wonder what Kiran would think about it."

"Kiran knows I only love him. Besides, Freddie doesn't feel that way about me anymore."

"What?"

"Yeah. He told me at the hospital just now. He said he doesn't like me that way anymore."

"Then... who does he like."

"You."