chapter 7 - She saw everything

Freddie and Carly stared into each other's eyes, a few seconds later Freddie decided to break the silence.

"That kiss..."

"Cheek kiss, Benson."

"Was it meant to be a friendly kiss?"

"Yeah, it's just a comfort kiss. It meant nothing else. Surprise you aren't freaking out about it." Carly smirked.

"Well, this isn't our first kiss, Carls. We've kissed before. Besides, I'm dating Sam now, I don't want her to see what happened and misunderstand."

"I know. If she asked I can just explain it to her."

"By the way, where is she?" Freddie looked around.

"She said she was going to the cafeteria. Strange, she should be back here by now. Let me text Spencer."

Just then, the elevator open and Freddie's Aunt Jennifer walked in.

"Aunt Jennifer. Have you seen my friend Sam? She's blonde and about a few centimeters shorter than me. You've seen her before."

"Ah, Samantha Puckett right? No I haven't seen her. There's rarely any people in the cafeteria at the moment."

"Oh, thanks Aunt Jennifer."

Aunt Jennifer walked back into Freddie's mom's hospital room, leaving Carly and Freddie outside.

"Spencer just texted me back. He said he spoke with Sam a few minutes ago. Apparently she went home."

"What? Let's go back down."

"What about your mom?"

"Agh, right. I'll be quick." Freddie sighed and walked back into the room

10 minutes later, Freddie and Carly walked out of the elevator and towards Spencer, who was standing by the reception counter.

"Well?" Freddie asked.

"Sam came down here unannounced saying she had to leave to do some stuff, and when she came to talk to me her eyes were kinda red, as if she was crying."

"Was she?" Freddie asked, concerned.

"She told me she accidentally got pepper in her eye."

"Her eyes doesn't look like it was affected with pepper." The receptionist Spencer was talking to the whole time stood up from behind her desk. "I've seen girls with those eyes. It looked like tears had just fallen. But, if it's really pepper, it's not safe for her to be going home alone. She might not be able to see well."

"What are you saying?" Spencer asked.

"She's saying for us to go find Sam! C'mon!" Carly exclaimed.

Carly, Freddie and Spencer rushed out of the hospital, and back to Bushwell Plaza.

"Sam?" Carly opened her front door. "You in here?"

"Carly, she had no key." Spencer said as Carly went upstairs.

"She's good at picking locks, Spence." Freddie said.

"She's not here." Carly sighed, coming down the stairs. "All rooms' empty."

"Could she be in Freddie's house?" Spencer asked.

"What?" Carly and Freddie asked.

"My mom hates her, why would she be there?"

"The fire escape!" Carly exclaimed. "Try there."

"Right. Be right back."

"What happened? Why would Sam be crying?" Spencer asked as soon as Freddie left.

"I don't know. She was fine just now."

"Maybe something happened. Maybe she saw something she shouldn't be seeing. Did anything happen just now?"

"No.. I was sitting outside by myself, Freddie came out. Wait, we did share a kiss...."

"A kiss?!"

"It was on the cheek, Spencer! It meant nothing romantic."

"Oh sure, like Sam is suppose to know that from afar."

"You think she saw the kiss from afar?"

"That's the only logical explanation! That would explain why she was so upset. After all, Freddie still likes you."

"No, he doesn't. He told me himself."

flashback

Carly and Freddie both entered the elevator.

"Hey Carly. I'm gonna ask Sam to be my girlfriend officially."

"Really?"

"Yeah. After you kissed me I realised that you and I are just meant to be best friends, nothing else."

"I'm so glad you finally see it that way. I can't wait to see Sam's face after you ask her."

flashback end

"Well, I didn't know that. Best for you guys to explain it to her. Should we head to the fire escape too?"

"No, Spencer. That's Sam and Freddie's place. Not ours. I'm sure she's there. She always goes there when she's feeling sad."

Meanwhile...

"Sam?" Freddie walked towards his fire escape. Carly was right. Sam was there, sitting by his seat and staring into the sky.

"Sam." He spoke again, and she turned around to look at him, blankly.

"Hey. Why didn't you wait for us at the hospital?" Freddie sat beside her.

"I already told Spencer." She spoke, with no expression, "I had things to do."

"Are you done with your things now?"

Sam took a deep breath. "No. I'm not. I'm about to finish it now." Freddie was confused as Sam kept quiet for a few minutes.

"I think we should end it." Sam said as she stared into the night sky.

"End it? End what?" Freddie turned to face her.

"This. Us. Whatever we are. It's over."

"What? Why the sudden thought?"

"I don't know... I guess I realised that if we're stuck with someone we don't like we won't be happy, will we." She turned to face him again, this time giving a very small smile.

"S-Stuck with someone we don't like? What do you mean? I thought you liked me?"

"Yeah well, you don't like me anyways, so I don't wanna drag you on since I don't like you anymore."

"What?" Freddie was shocked, his eyes were wide open.

"I said what I said, and done what I needed to do." Sam got up but Freddie held onto her hand.

Freddie was stunned, and unsure of what to say. Sam wanted to leave but couldn't because of Freddie's grip.

"I saw you and Carly kiss." She sighed after getting impatient. Sam forcefully removed Freddie's grip and left the fire escape, leaving Freddie all alone there.